Q about cleaning out OPB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTVt

Dec 3, 2008
Vt
Hi again.... my OPB will need to be scooped out... BUT the only time I did it (after running a few days) it was OFF and cold. I am thin king I will be afraid to clean it when I have to open the door if it is HOT or BURNING pellets.... is it right to just OPEN DOOR and scoop away while it is running? The booklet says HOW to clean it but says NOTHING about doing it while hot or ??? my model is a central boiler maxim 250 ... thanks!

Reactions: smoke show
I have a Harman PB105 and the only way to really get the burnpot clean is for me to shut it down and let it cool. It's been two weeks since I last cleaned it so I'm going to shut it down today and do a good cleaning.

It would depend on your feed system. with the Tarm I open it up and scoop out the ash and spin the turbulators while its hot. I'll probably shut it down after the holidays and give it a brushing which should make the rest of the year.

HELLO .... well double checked with the dealer while on phone today and he says he cleans his out while it is in IDLE position, still running.... so will try it, thanks!

I have scooped out ashes while my maxim was in idle, there was some burning in the back of the pot but noting to be concerned about, wear gloves! I also clean the heat exchanger tubes while it is running, I just wear gloves to pull out the turbolators.

Status
Not open for further replies.