Q about electrical?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1parkpointer

Dec 3, 2007
Farmington NH
There are two side-by-side emergency shut-off switches on the main floor of our house. One goes to the oil-fired hot air furnace, and the other went to a stand-alone oil-fired hot water heater. The latter has since been replaced with an electric hot water heater; and the circuit breaker to the oil hot water heater has been shut off since the change over to electric hot water earlier this year. The oil-fired furnace also has a electric shut-off switch for servicing the furnace; as did the old hot water heater.
In the basement where both were located, there are double sets of 12-2 coming into a 4x4 octagon box with a red cover and fuse imbedded in the center of it. In the case of the furnace, the wiring then goes down the side of the furnace to a service shut-off switch and into the furnace for its needs.
What I don't understand is why the double set of wires to the box? Another double set goes into another box above where the hot water heater was located, but the wires have been disconnected and the red cover with fuse is no longer connected. Any help would might end the confusion.

Your question is a little confusing, a picture with corresponding numbers to explanations would help.

From what you described, there are two sets of wires because one set is incoming and one set is outgoing from the fuse and it's a 220 volt service. I assume the disconnects (switches) have no fuses in them. These disconnects is where the fuses are normally. If this is a 220 service there should be two fused in the 4x4 box. None of what you described sounds like it's to code. A picture and more info would help to verify.

Since last visit, I got a ladder and found the it reads "Thermal Cutoff Switch For Heating And Cooling Appliances". rated 120V, 15 Amps, 1 HP. The other one reads the same. They are Model TC1, manufactured by Omco. I'll get a picture of the connection and wiring when the digital camera gets back from a sleepover, later today. Hope this helps!

Just want to let readers of the forum know what I discovered with some sleep as Daylight brings an answer to my wiring mystery! Guess I was tired after getting the flue pipe/draft control/wood box/circulating blower work done, that the wiring issues should have waited until the next day.
This morning I find that the electrician brought the power feed to a junction box. From there the feed (white) went to the furnace wiring via a wire-nut, the neutral (black) connected to the white feed wire in the 2nd 12-2 cable which goes to an emergency shut-off switch on the main floor. The neutral (black) on the other side of the switch then returns to the junction box where it connects to the Thermal Cutoff Switch then onto the furnace to complete the circuit.
A good night's rest and daylight brings the old noggin back from the dead. Sorry for any confusion that my weak brain matter may have caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.