Q for those with many seasons of use. When to Buy pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lecomte38

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Central Mass
For Those with many years of buying pellets, When is the optimum time to purchase pellets for the next season? I'm thinking May/June. Prices are still too high now and the retailers saying the prices won't come down are like stock brokers saying BUY NOW when the market dropped below $10,000.

Finishing my 4th season with this stove.
Last few years I saw people in my area buy in
March, they got theirs approx. $10 less a ton than I
who bought mid April early May. You can probably expect the
prices to rise roughly $10 per month from now to August.
Also depends where you live it seems. Here in MA we
aren't getting any bargains any time soon.

I usually purchase my winter supply in March-early April as that has been
the timeframe when the prices were the lowest in my area within the last
few years. Finding decent pellet prices in MA this year is going to be a struggle
but deals can be found with lots of research.
Now...where did I put that magic 8 ball? ;-)

Buy your pellets before June, They are going to be tight again this year. Raw material is tied to the new housing market, there are no new houses being built. Stock up what you need. Think of it like getting your AC fixed before it's hot out. And if you don't prepare in advance please don't be on these pages next fall WHINNING.

I have never pre-bought in 5 years, never paid over $200 a ton. Now that said, our market here is a lot different than other places. And I just do not have the room to store over the summer. I have heard the 'oh my, pellets will be $1000 a ton next fall for sure' sooo many times before that it bores me, I'll be the first to say I'm incorrect when I see it happen. Just mho and experience.

Picked up a ton of Lignetics from South Shore Wood Pellet this morning.
Their web site says they are sold out of them now, but will have them in
stock in April for $289 a ton which is $10 more than I paid.
No regrets as of the moment. Now have 3 tons stacked in the garage
which includes the 2 tons of Cleanfire left over from this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.