Q. on installing woodstove in existing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gspro

Dec 12, 2007
Western NY
One of the other posts said this:
"As per your pic, fireplace looks mostly interior. If up to code, that means it does not even need lined! Obviously a liner is best, especially since it will save you have to reparge your smoke chamber to spec, etc..... "

My chimney is interior, what does 'reparge your smoke chamber to spec' mean? If I don't need to use a liner, would I just run stove pipe up into the clay flue? What do I gain by using a liner in an interior chimney?

For either case, if I have to use a ss liner or not, can I use some type of insulation instead of creating a steel base plate?

Thanks.

There are two different ways to install inserts, a direct connect is a pipe going up to the first flue tile with a block off plate at the damper. This will work if your chimney is the same inside diameter of the stoves flue collar exhaust, but is a pita to clean since you have to pull out the whole insert and pipe. The best way is to install a full liner, better draft and cleaning is much easier, no moving the insert. Some smoke chambers where the fireplace damper is located need to be modified or cut to allow a liner to fit through. your stove manual should explain both methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.