qaudra fire castile easy clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatotto48

Feb 20, 2010
central ct
Hi, I think this idea I came up with could help with the cleaning of the fire pot trap door. I had a hard time cleaning the bottom of the pot and the door would get stuck from the residue. A friend of mine I work with has the same stove and the same problem cleaning it, so we cut a half round piece of stainless steel ( 1/8" thick) to fit in the bottom of the pot. It sits on the sliding door section flat at the bottom so that all the burnt residue sticks to the steel plate. When you pull the door open to drop the ash the plate drops down in the ash draw and you pick it up and easily scrap off any burnt stuff. Then set the plate back in the pot and you are done. I have not had to scrap the trap door all year and it has not affected the burning at all. I still need to clean the sides of the pot. Maybe I need pellets that burn cleaner.

Now THAT is one hell of an idea! Seeing as I have two Quads, you just gave me a project! I took someone's advice (sorry I can't remember who) and got a big wood chisel. Stick it straight down on the carbon and twist. Works great but not as good as your idea! Since I'm also a hobby potter, I might make a couple out of ceramics. thanks!!!!!!

Funny thing is when I first started my Castile last fall I had an issue with build-up on the burn pot door. The door was sticking and I used the chisle to clean it off. Since that time I have never had to clean it again. I still do clean the burn pot sides with a very narrow chisel (the narrower the better). Maybe it was an issue when I was running my stove on low since then I have been running on medium.

I just purchased a 06 model with Porcelain Mohogany and log set pipe and marble tile base for 900.00 and had to do some scraping on the trap door to free it up. That sounds like an excellent idea! I am still learning on mine, so every bit helps. I have another question but will post it in a few.

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for that info I am going to use that on my quad. So simple and if it works a time saver.

It works well. what I did first was to cut out a thin piece of sheet metal as a template. Then use that to cut out the shape on your heavier metal. Do not make the fit to tight, leave some room for expansion. A little bit of space on the edges will not matter much. Do not use a thin metal because it will warp and may block some holes. 1/8" is good, you don't want it to thick either.

fatotto48 said:
It works well. what I did first was to cut out a thin piece of sheet metal as a template. Then use that to cut out the shape on your heavier metal. Do not make the fit to tight, leave some room for expansion. A little bit of space on the edges will not matter much. Do not use a thin metal because it will warp and may block some holes. 1/8" is good, you don't want it to thick either.

Ah, you're right about too thick because of the holes around the front part of the pot! Darn, there goes my ceramic idea................. grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I guess I don't get to 'play in the mud'.

Status
Not open for further replies.