Qaudrafire CB 1200 flame height question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
I just moved into a house that has a CB 1200. I've adjusted the flame height, the flame is very high at the start. Slowly the flame will go down. I think it's going down too low. I will then adjust it then it's too high. I can't seem to find a happy medium. I had the stove cleaned and the pellets are the right size. I had a pellet stove at my other house, so I'm not new to them.

Thanks for your help.

How's the heat output steve?

I.E. does it seem with the "too low" flame, you're not getting the same amount of heat output?

I'm just wondering, because with our old stove (A Jamestown), on low burn the flame was often quite low, but the heat output was still consistent at the low flame heights.

the quadrafire uses a spring auger, not a screw auger. The spring will dump different amounts of fuel with each turn, but it averages out over a hour. Hard to explain... Lets see. If the stove is set for 5 lbs a hour then in one hours time it will dump 5 pounds, but every minute it will drop different amount of pellets because the auger is a big streched out spring. Not a screw that fits tight to the sides and delivers the same amount of fuel with each turn of the auger. Its common on quads to vary. Its not common for it to just go out. Also, wait twenty minutes between adjustments.

Thanks for the info. The heat output seems good even with the low flame. I just get a little nervous when I see the big flame in the begining.

As long as the stove settles down to an average shorter flame the initial higher flame is ok. The flame can vary from as low as 1" to 5" above the edge of the burnpot. It should be sharp, like a furnace. If it is high, orangish and lazy, with tongues of flame licking at the heat exchanger tubes, there are too many pellets being fed. I found that once the feedrate is set correctly it doesn't need to be changed until one switches pellet brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.