QF castile/ rust question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

High Altitude

Jul 12, 2008
Colorado
I just brought home a new castile and it looks great on the outside, but when I look under neath it, it has some surface rust in various places on the cast iron.

This doesn't seem right to me but this is my first stove and maybe the cast iron is prone to rusting.

Should I be calling my dealer????

I also have a new Castile and have not seen any rust on mine, but I would say that it is possible. The cast parts are supposedly made in Europe, then shipped to Washington state where the stoves are assembled, boxed and shipped out. However, they are not stored or transported in a evironmentally controlled equipment, so they are prone to some surface rust.

My stove came with a small can of stove paint and I'm guessing that yours did also. If indeed it is only surface rust, I would recommend that you wire brush only those areas very well, wipe down with a clean rag with either naptha (lighter fluid) or paint thinner, and touch up with the stove paint. This will prevent it from rusting any further.

During manufacture, they probably missed a spot or two with the stove paint which if bare metal (especially cast iron) is left exposed to the elements, will quickly form surface rust. If it's deep rust and has actually pitted the surface, then I would definately call your dealer and talk to them about it. If it's just the surface rust, you can quickly fix it yourself, and maybe even better than someone else would.

Steve

I would say that most stoves have some rust on them after spending time in the warehouse it is not something to worry about if the next one has it.

I own a Castile and part of my mid summer routine is to wire brush and paint the interior which rusts every year. Usually appears on the brick backing, top inner sheetmetal, and sides. I also was disappointed, but calls to factory and posts on this site confirm that this is a routine event on this stove.

High Altitude said:
I called my dealer and since it is a brand new uninstalled stove they are going to exchange it for another new stove.

Nice...sounds like that dealer is a keeper :)

Status
Not open for further replies.