QF thermocouple cover questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett

Dec 3, 2008
SE Vermont
My Quadra Fire Castille is in it's 4th season. The thermocouple cover is wicked pitted and chipped all around, looks like time for a new one. I've rotated it 90 degrees every year it seems, so that a newer smooth portion faces down into the fire.

How long do these things last? 4 years seems kind of short for a ceramic tube. At least it's only a $25 part. Maybe I'll buy 2 just to be safe.

Of course being in Vermont, my local stove parts place was flooded by Irene and lost everything. Any leads on a reputable place to buy a new one online?

They are around $30 including shipping on eBay from a few sellers.

Luckily I found another dealer. He didn't have it in stock, but said he would take one out of a floor model stove for me!

Props to Friends of the Sun, in Brattleboro VT!

Wierd, my AE is four years old and the t/c cover still looks new

smoke show said:
Wierd, my AE is four years old and the t/c cover still looks new

Same here on both mine. Are you sure you aren't nicking it with the scrapping tool you use to clean the pot. It doesn't take much to break them.

The one in our Quad 1000 has been in there since 1993 and is still fine.

The Quad has seen many many years of steady use, up until I installed the two whitfields and started running shells 100%.

I wonder if the manuf made a change in the materials they are using in that ceramic tube ???

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.