Quad 1000, black smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
The last couple weeks the Quad 1000 we have in our downstairs apartment (Basement living quarters thats currently a rental) started puffing out nasty black smoke.

I checked the pot and there was a clinker, but not a bad one, and the air holes were not badly plugged.

Hmmmmm

Sooooo, we yanked the baffles out and vacuumed things good only to find the pot gasket hanging half out from under the pot rim. !!!

Good bet that the air flow from the booster blower under the pot was leaking past the gasket.

Ripped the pot out and the gasket was a real mess.

Headed to the Ace Hardware and bought a strip of new flat rope and silicone'd it around the pot aperture in the fire box base and re-installed the pot.

Put the igniter back in and buttoned it up.

Zooooooop, all seems fine.

20 plus years on this unit now and still at it.

This Quad is the only heat in the apartment, and has had the snot ran out of it every year since it was installed in 93.

The apt is 1000 sq ft and that big stove will run you out if you set the stat too high.

Once the Conv blower comes on you can turn the stat down and let it finish

I did notice that the ceramic tube over the thermo couple has eroded badly where its in the fire.

Guess we will need to get a fresh one.

I need to replace the pot as well, as it has really eroded over these past years.

Some time ago I welded the top of it up near the location where the rim meats the inner wall.

These pots tend to burn out in this location and then the blast of air that leaks in will blow the flame away from the thermo couple and the final high temp data point is not reached, and the stove shuts off.

The metal carbonizes badly and is a real beotch to weld.

Looks like a new pot is gonna be in order come this summer.

The stainless heat baffles over the finned alloy exchangers are getting worn and cracked as well.

Time to start watching ebay for some good parts.

I passed up a pair of nice baffles cheap a while back :(

Shoulda coulda woulda ya know.

Still a great stove, and we have a mate to it upstairs.

Just sad that they wont burn nut shells.

Ahhhh well

Snowy

Those shoulda, woulda, coulda will get you every time;lol

Everything needs a little TLC once in a while. That Quad 1000 doesn't owe you anything.

Nope, zip nada zilch

The two Quads have churned through tons of pellets in the past 20 + and still have the factory fans and feed motors.

Exhaust fans have never been out of either one.

These two came originally with the ceramic pots and were retro fitted with the new steel pots under a warranty deal.

I was not gonna deal with having a tech out here doinking with the stovesm so the dealer shipped me the retro kits.

Took maybe an hour to tear out the old stuff and make the needed mods and be back up and cookin.

A few holes to drill, install the pot and hook up the clean out linkage rod

OHHHH, AND THE MOST IMPORTANT PART, PLACE THE OPERATING INSTRUCTION STICKER ON THE FRONT :)

The Quad 1000 is one Helluva stove. Dependable, rugged, and it heats a huge area.

Ours will heat the entire 2400 ft up here, just will not eat shells though. :(

I would be sure to get that thermocouple cover soon, before you burn out the thermocouple, and have to buy it too. kap

Cover is still ok, but showing it's age.

Yesssss, it needs repacing

Status
Not open for further replies.