Quad 1100 Combustion Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinger

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2011
SW CO
www.gregdinger.com
Hello, I'm trying to help a friend out. He has an old (1992) Quadrafire 1100 insert. I've helped him deep clean it (including leafblower) a couple times, one quite recent. No OAK installed.

The issue he is having is that the stove ignites normal, the thermocouple senses fire, and the auger starts back up, after a few the convection fan turns on and all is well. However, his combustion fan will quit (random) sometime after an unspecified time? Although I haven't timed it, so maybe not random. The fire goes lazy, and the stove smothers itself out, leaving an unburned charred clump of black, blocking the bottom of the burn pot. When it happened I unplugged the unit, plugged it back in, and the combustion fan kicked back on and things went back to normal. I then shut it down via the thermostat and it shut down normal.

Details as I know them.

1. I feel the thermocouple is working, (maybe too good) because after the initial pellet feed, and ignition, the feed starts back up properly. I say too good because the insulator is trashed, just dangling over the pot, it seemed to start feeding almost as soon as the fire started. I did retract the entire assembly so it is 1" over the edge and the tip is to the end of the insulator.

2. Both fan motors and auger motor sound fine when operating, actually quite quiet for 20+ years old.

3. I only see the auger tube snap switch (left side). I assume there is 1-2 more behind the right door, as well as a control of some kind, but I couldn't remove the door because the tile tolerance is quite close, and I didn't want to got reefing on it when the owner wasn't there, maybe he knows a trick. Truth is, other than testing the switches I don't know what I would do if I did get it open.

What I find amusing is the operator manual is 9 pages. Mine is over 50. Times have changed, yes? What his doesn't have is any kind of wiring diag, which might help me understand more. Perhaps it is in the control if there is one, and beyond my ability to test.

Thoughts?

Maybe pull the combustion fan and run it out of the stove for a period of time to see if it shuts down after it heats up? "Dangling" and "trashed" are not good things when trying to trouble shoot a problem. Test the T-couple with a multi-meter?

I would hook a meter to it and see if there is still power running to the unit when it shuts down. If there is then it needs a new combustion blower. If the power is going out I would look to the computer.

Eric

I would start by blowing out all the dust and dirt from the motor assy, maybe overheating.

I would +2 on Sils comment. I only just had a similar problem with my convection fan stopping after use. You need to DEEP clean the combustion motor (not the blades - but the motor as it's air-cooled).

Status
Not open for further replies.