Quad 7100 fascia rubbing hinge pin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SF18D

Mar 24, 2013
Indy, IN
This is my first burning season with the Quad 7100 so I dont know if this is normal or not but the locking door upper hinge pin is being worn away by the fascia. Its to the point where there is some resistance when trying to fully open the door. There is room around the entire fireplace to expand vs the surround. Is this a fascia issue or just something that happens on these units where you have to replace the hinge pin periodically? Fireplace is still under warranty. Pics below. The first pic is the hinge in question and the second is the bottom hinge that is not rubbing. Thanks!
John

Attachments

• IMG_1650.JPG
    IMG_1650.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 123
There is NO WAY that hinge pin wear is intentional. There is something wrong with the fascia install.
The fascia for this unit comes with separate installation instructions, as there are a couple of different ones available.
Did your installer leave those instructions with your owner's manual? If so, check it out, but definitely call your installer.

My fascia comes close, but it does not rub on the hinge pins. There are some standoffs that keep it from sitting flush to the unit. You may want to remove the fascia and check everything out.

How tight does your fascia fit? There was a template on the fascia box for the surround installer to use to make sure that there were proper allowances for clearance. The clearance would allow for installation/removal and expansion of the fascia. I had to have my surround redone because my installer cut the template on the inside of the dotted line so the fascia fit perfectly when installed. He was very proud of his work.

I am sure you can imagine how thrilled he was to have to redo it, but understood when I showed him the install instructions and the need for the gap around the fascia.

Status
Not open for further replies.