Quad Castile and generator question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motors have a instantaneous surge at startup 2-5x, to small a generator and you stall it. My heat pump has a instantaneous surge of roughly 100 amps on startup while running its about 12 amps to give you an idea.

I understand......combustion blower is 1.3 amp and convection is 1.8.
These are small motors and don't require that much power to get them moving.
I recently got information back about a replacement combustion motor and the running amps were 1 and the locked running amps was 1.2

I have an Onan 5500 watt (non inverter) generator in my motorhome. I tapped off of the transfer switch and installed a 50 amp plug. I plug a chord that is hardwired to an automatic transfer switch in my house. It runs the whole house (I don't use the drier or oven/stove) with no problems. We have gone two weeks without power and my 75 gallons of gas goes a long way. I HAVE to have a generator because I live next to wetlands and my basement (200 year old granite foundation) gets wet and will flood if my pumps aren't working. All that said, my stove runs fine when on the generator.

pierhead I hear you, but sometimes power outages are. Three weeks ago a 12 hour outage then a week later another for several hours.
If it was just the pellet stove I would opt for the small inverter, but I also loose access to my water. So I would like 220 v for the well pump.

Just to get a comparison I stopped by a local General installer today to ask some general questions. They suggested at least a 100 gallon propane tank.
Cost of install approx. $5,000 plus the gas installation that they don't do. That I believe was for the 8kw unit.
One thing that caught my attention was that the generator would consume 1.68 gallons/hour at full load. I only hope that it drops with less load.

That's pricey. At HD, they often have a 10% off sale on standby generators, Generacs and GEs, etc. The GEs are a particular good deal if you want a whole house solution, as opposed to choosing 10 circuits. I got my 12k GE w/200 amp switch for about $3000, after 10% off. They delivered to my driveway for free. In the past, they charged $500 to $1500 for basic install. My electrician buddy did the simple connections for $300. The gas company connected a tank, black pipe, regulator, for about $400. Altogether under $4000, and no problems running my pellet stove.

I would point out that my system is for a 4000+sqft house. If you can get by with a 7k Generac or 8k GE, they sell for $1750 to $2000 on sale at HD. My electrician buddy was so impressed that he did install a GE 8k unit on his house and his father-in-laws. They're pretty cheap, and not that bad to install, and if you've got any of the stuff already, like a gas source, then it's even cheaper.

My oil boiler is a System 2000, and I was worried about the damaging the controller. Today I called and talked to the tech dept. what a great tech I talked with. He not only told me that almost any portable gen set would work, but said he was running his on a Rigid from Home Depot. Informed me that my boiler would require 1800 watts for 90 seconds on start up to get the igniter powered.
So it seems I don't need to worry about the oil oiler boiler.
Today I E-mailed Quadrafire hoping to get somebody in the tech group to answer the Castile generator requirements rather than the generic "use an emergency generator" posted on their web site.
Comparing the Ridgid, and the Generac XP models.
The Generac has a regular pressurized oil system, and spin off oil filter like an auto engine, but the Rigid doesn't advertise that, and I cannot see any sign of a spin on filter looking at multiple views.
I'm getting there slowly.

What is there for warranty repair service for both units in your area??

Not exactly sure gfreek, but one thing that bothers me if you read the customer reviews is that if an engine problem happens Ridgid tells you to chase after Yamaha.
Generac refers you to small engine repair shops. I am in a rural area so I would need to travel for any repair.

Personally I think (and we know where that gets us) if Ridgid is selling a generator they should stand behind it regardless of the engine manufacturer they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.