Quad Castile Comb Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
So mom called yesterday, Quad Castile insert making funny noises. Stopped by tonight on my way home and sure enough, combustion fan is dying, barely making it around and grinding noise from the bearings. So what are the latest thoughts on replacements? The motor is a Jakel J238-087-8242. If I recall the last time I did mine (years ago), I found a replacement motor and the hardest part was getting the darn fan blade off. Mom wants her stove back on asap (funny how we get!) so the best route may be to just buy the whole unit I guess, but thought I ask here first. Thanks gang.

Czech, send Jay Takeman a PM....he seems to have good sources for motors & such. He also was a Quad owner at one time.

Will do mac. Funny, when I search for this make and model, I come up with an old discussion. Here. By me! Too funny. I thought someone found a match sometime, probably was Jay like you say.

Wish I could Czech, I tried. Dang Jakel are a pain and not much for aftermarket stuff out there. I have changed the bearings in them and it usually fixes them. But like you said. Some of the impellets are a PITA to get off. Most of the Fasco's just slip right off.

I remember a post where someone swapped one out but I think it was with a fasco. Can't put my finger on the thread though!

Here is the same one I bought for a replacement on the shelf. It was much cheaper than factory.

I used it for a few days to see if it was any different (used the old impeller). Ran as it should. Sounded a bit different. But they are two different types of motors. The thing I like about the new one, is the oil ports. But thats just me. It may not be better, but it was cheaper and it works.

This was the thread with the info. Mine is a Rotom. HB-RBM120. 3,000 RPM, 115v, .60 amps, C.C.W rotation, 3.50" diameter, sleeve bearing. Hope this helps

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/68013/

Thanks Gang, that's the info I was looking for. Dex did you ever run that other one for more than a couple days? Do you want to sell it? Heehee. And you had it in a CB, correct? I need to be sure it would fit an insert Castile, they should be the same from what I know. Thanks again everyone.

Czech said:
Thanks Gang, that's the info I was looking for. Dex did you ever run that other one for more than a couple days? Do you want to sell it? Heehee. And you had it in a CB, correct? I need to be sure it would fit an insert Castile, they should be the same from what I know. Thanks again everyone.

Lets just say it was made for the Santa Fe and Castile. Because it took slight modification to get the holes to line up. It also came with a gasket btw.

No dont want to sell it. Its going to the new owner of the Quad this Spring. Bought it so I wasnt without. Have a bunch of spare parts for the Quad.

As per the thread, it was for that stove. I took the chance and had to bore the holes where it mounts out about 1/32". Was not much at all. But didnt fit.

BTW. Still burnin the Sunburst. Thanks again. Hope all is good your way.

All is well, except for mom's stove. Why is it every time I get a rare day off, something always comes up other than fishing? Ah well, me thinks I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow, mom called and has her purse open. I did have an auger, a convection fan, two vacuum switches, and one comb fan from the AES in my spare parts, better luck next time I guess! My history with these motors is about every 3-4 years, shame really.

For you dealers out there, this is why people like me just shop online. I know not all you guys are like this, but man this kind of thing drives me nuts. Since 8AM, I have been on the phone, I have yet to get anywhere. I'm up to 6 different dealers, some cannot check because I didn't have the model number (dah, figure it out), some are calling me back (no calls yet, even from where I bought the stoves, plural intended), others sell pellet stoves but are trying to sell me convection fans (really). How ridiculous is this? So here I sit on a day off, waiting for some schumk to take 30 seconds and check stock, and then go through the trouble of actually calling me back. All this so I can give some money, help pay their bills and such. Not sure where this goes wrong, but if anyone can shoot me a price with two day air, I'm in with a click. And no, I won;t be shedding any tears when the out of business signs go up, heck I'd be out of a job yesterday if I ran mine like this. OK, move along, nothing to see here, sorry for the rant but I do feel better!

Have you tried Eric at Kinsman stoves? I dont know what shipping would be? But worth a shot. Worst case scenario you go to someone else.
There are numerous other dealers here also. Hopefully one of the can get you squared away.

Eric,
330-448-0300

Great guy, great prices (I am close enough to pick up- shipping I dont know about)

Your cutting them lots of slack! 30 minutes to check stock? Really?? Should take all of about 5 minutes max if they had any training in parts. That includes walking back to where they are kept and see if its actually in stock. But thats just me and I only have half a clue in what I'm doing. A guy that knows his cookies will have it on the counter in 3. ;-)

j-takeman said:
Your cutting them lots of slack! 30 minutes to check stock? Really?? Should take all of about 5 minutes max if they had any training in parts. That includes walking back to where they are kept and see if its actually in stock. But thats just me and I only have half a clue in what I'm doing. A guy that knows his cookies will have it on the counter in 3. ;-)

30 seconds..... not minutes. ;-P just jibbin ya Jay :)

DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:

You youngin's are quicker at it than us old cusses are. More ways than one. hehe! ;-)

j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:

You youngin's are quicker at it than us old cusses are. More ways than one. hehe! ;-)

As many bones as I broke when I was younger from racing and riding dirtbikes and ATV's. I sure dont feel young! LOL ;-P

Got a couple days off and been trying to get this log length load bucked up and in my barn.... To much work. Ugh. Then I gotta get the ton of Somersets in the basement. Then I gotta....... Never ends.. Does it?

DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:

As many bones as I broke when I was younger from racing and riding dirtbikes and ATV's. I sure dont feel young! LOL ;-P

Got a couple days off and been trying to get this log length load bucked up and in my barn.... To much work. Ugh. Then I gotta get the ton of Somersets in the basement. Then I gotta....... Never ends.. Does it?

Well, Not really. Always something. All I got left to due is the gutters and rebuild the carb on the snow blower. Then I will be heading indoors for the winter. Got lots of items on the Honey-Do list! Yep, Never ends! :sigh:

Still no call backs, now mom is calling too. Must be really busy. On lunch.....

Click. $186, here by noon tomorrow, no charge shipping. See how that works? Can't fix stupid.

we have them in stock if you need it still

Stoveguy, PM me please. I can still cancel and I'm partial to doing business with people here. Part# 812-4400. The one I have is a Jakel, it crosses to the Fasco which I've had better luck with. Thanks!

Czech said:
Click. $186, here by noon tomorrow, no charge shipping. See how that works? Can't fix stupid.

Who did you end up getting it from? That's only $36 more than the 'replacement' version that Dexter has BEFORE shipping.

Some guy named stoveguy13 got the sale, even cheaper than what I posted. Heck, he even OPENED THE BOX AND CHECKED WHAT KIND OF MOTOR FOR ME! OMG! Yeah, I'm a smart butt, but man why couldn't a local dealer even call me back? Or those that did had NO idea what type of motor (dare I ask), and still couldn't get it to me before stove guy could from CT to MN. It's just frustrating. Lesson here for those who care I guess.

Congrats Czech. Hopefully Mom is Happy. And you saved a couple buck$..

Bravo to Stoveguy13. Way to go. Dealers that know there $hit are a rare thing these days. Not too many around me. I have to drive to get to a good one.

I take it, this is a factory replacement through Quad (HHT)?

DexterDay said:
Congrats Czech. Hopefully Mom is Happy. And you saved a couple buck$..

Bravo to Stoveguy13. Way to go. Dealers that know there $hit are a rare thing these days. Not too many around me. I have to drive to get to a good one.

I take it, this is a factory replacement through Quad (HHT)?

Yes, my understanding is that it is OEM. That said, it was neither a Jakel or a Fasco, it was something like Hitcusakijapi or something.

It is made by Huayi. Chinese (Taiwanese) motor and that is a very good price you got it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.