Quad Castile door with no retaining rod?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmGee

Nov 13, 2013
USA
I need to replace the tadpole gasket on my Castile stove, but all of the instructions online show a door with retaining rods that are removed in order to remove the glass. My door has a metal tab about 3 inches from the top on each side.

How do I remove the glass? If it cannot be removed, how does one affix the new gasket? I have attached a photo of the inside of the door with the old gasket partially removed, and a close up of one of the tabs. Door1.jpg

door.jpg

The glass on early Castille's is held in place by those tabs. You'll need to bend them very carefully. I was warned by my dealer NOT to insert a screwdriver and twist or you'll break the glass underneath.

I put a screwdriver blade under the corner of the tab and used that small raised metal at the top of your 2nd photo as a fulcrum for the shaft. I decided to bend them just enough to slide the glass out the top of the door. Then the tabs can easily be bent further.

When complete, I used a slip-joint pliers (padded with a rag) to bend the tabs back down onto the gasket/glass. I initially just rotated the pliers in the direction I wanted the tab to bend, then once there was contact I squeezed it tight enough that the tabs would not contact the stove when the door closed.

If you slide the glass out, you'll need to be careful you don't scratch the glass where it's no longer protected by the old gasket. Hope this makes sense!

I need to replace the tadpole gasket on my Castile stove, but all of the instructions online show a door with retaining rods that are removed in order to remove the glass.

And yes, the online manuals show the rods. The paper manual that came with my stove doesn't say or show anything about this at all.

And yes, the online manuals show the rods. The paper manual that came with my stove doesn't say or show anything about this at all.
Thanks for the instructions. My first inclination was to bend the tabs, but I was concerned about breaking the tabs off or cracking the glass.

My paper instruction manual was the same. I think it was misprinted - the online version says 56 pages, but it stops at 25, just like my paper one, the manual for the newer models loads the whole thing, but with the other door, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.