Quad Castile/ Englander/Summers Heat 55-SHPAHL Burning Ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not hostility I just don't like getting people into arguments. I just posted it because it was something odd I found out on accident and figured some one having problems might fin it useful. It baffles me as to why it helps the flame. I used to work for a place fixing old machines and some times the strange things fixed problems and all I knew was that now it worked not really sure why but as long as it worked and was still safe I didn't care. I was never good at wording things in e-mail and such and not get myself in trouble.

Meneillys,

What do you use for a screen on your OAK?

The reason I bring this up is that some of the screens I've seen used would by themselves cause a restriction. I had to remove mine for that very reason.

I have two layers of 1/4" wire mesh on my ash dump door outside feeding my Castile Insert. I haven't seen any buildup on it now for the last few weeks since I put it in except one leaf found its way in there. What did you have to remove Smokey? don't tell me it was 1/4" hardware cloth..... :roll:

tjnamtiw said:
I have two layers of 1/4" wire mesh on my ash dump door outside feeding my Castile Insert. I haven't seen any buildup on it now for the last few weeks since I put it in except one leaf found its way in there. What did you have to remove Smokey? don't tell me it was 1/4" hardware cloth..... :roll:

Nope, it was non movable louvered metal cap. It basicly cut off most of the air flow. I need a completely open air intake, a different end on the OAK would have worked as long as there was enough unobstructed space to equal the area of the end of the OAK line.

No cap on the end now, and after the season I stuff an old wash cloth into the OAK and an old hand towel into the end of the venting.

Ask imacman about his brush with some snow on his OAK screen.

I use 1/2" square mesh in the winter. I removed it to see if it was restricting and did not notice a change. I also took the pipe off and left the hole to outside open with the pipe removed from the stove because I thought maybe the bends were restricting and still no change it likes the door open for some reason. Last cleaning I removed the entire box and checked all the holes on it to make sure nothing was bent or blocked. Maybe the stove has a manufacturing defect. I adjusted the latch on the door so it is sloppy but still latches it leaves about 1/4" gap on one side and the stove loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.