Quad Castile (insert) question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
When you run your stove on low and med, how high is the the flame? At times, mine is barely out of the pot. The manual says to adjust to 4-6" on high. With the feed rod maxed out, that is all the flame height I get. Is this normal? What's bothering me is whether I sealed the flue damper to tight and their is not enough draw from the stack.(I sealed it pretty good not wanting the stack to draw the air out of the house). No black soot. I get some brown haze on the door. I'm hearing of some 10 - 12" flames on some stoves and wondering if I have issues. Could it be a pellet delivery issue? On low, should the flame be above the pot.? Thanks for any response or suggestions.

It has been my experience that the Castile Insert usually ends up with the feed adjuster all the way out. This is normal. On low, the flame is not visible above the burn pot rim, and on medium, the flame will be even with the rim to just above.

On low setting my flame is barely above the ashpot. I'm up at 8500ft and thought it may be the lack of air. But glas to read others have same results. Another note: I completely removed the pellet feed arm inside the hopper to ensure I have 100% feed. Flame is great on med and high so I guess its just not deisgned to flame up on low.

Mine flame does not get out of the pot on low.

Status
Not open for further replies.