Quad Castile (insert) question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
Has anyone hooked up an outside air kit to the insert? What were your observations? When my stove runs ,I have a good draft in the room along the floor. I ran a flex pipe off the back of the stove and out a window with no results. Do you need to block off any holes or cracks on the front of the stove to get it to draw from the back. I can't see it drawing from the pipe with the gaps and holes along the front around the ash pan. Air is going to be pulled from the path of least resistance. What am I missing? What do you guys think?

It is what it is.... leave it alone. If you start closing off gaps with gasketing or whatnot you will effect how the stove burns. The glass also has gasket missing on the bottom for an air wash, room air gets sucked in here also, even with outside air hooked up.

The only unit I know of that is even close to being air tight with the outside air is the Mt Vernon AE but even that has gaps around the boot on the bottom where it connects to the cast.

Remember there is a 160 cfm convection blower in there too...that has to suck the air from somewhere...it takes cool air off the floor and gets blown out the front as hot air...this will create a movement of cool air towards the stove along the floor...too many people blame this effect on the lack of OAK, but I think the cir air fan is more the cause of this...part of having a pellet stove.!!

Status
Not open for further replies.