Quad Castile ready for another season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
I can't believe that's it my seventh season with my Castile. To get things ready I wanted to pull, apart and repaint the easy to get to parts.

I removed the three rear panels soaked them in an electrolysis solution, and finished them up with a light wire brushing with my hand drill, and painted with a high temp paint.

While checking around my fire pot I noticed a small place next to one attaching bolt that didn't look right. I pulled the fire pot and sure enough the gasket was broken, and would have leaked air.

I used the same wire brush on the fire pot, and painted.
The stove interior was lightly sanded with emery cloth, and painted.
I removed the exhaust fan, and blew out the crud with compressed air, and installed a new gasket.

Lastly I cleaned the convection blower. Since there is no easy way to clean the fan blades (in my case plastic fan wheels) they really need to be taken off of their shafts, and put in the sink.
Things were going too good so I decided to break one of the plastic wheels. You probably heard me cussing especially when I found out that neither Quad nor anybody else sells just the plastic fan wheel.

I epoxied the wheel back together. Anxious to see if I had any strange noises I fired up the Castile. Much to my surprise I could hardly hear the fan noise. It's actually remarkably quieter than last year.

Here is my theory why I think it's quieter. When reassembling the blower fans onto their shafts I realized I had installed one backwards. I removed that one, and corrected my mistake. I mention this as you really need to look at the way the fan blades are shaped. My theory is that the last time I pulled those wheels off one went on reversed, and must have made it noisier. It will still blow air, but I imagine less than what it should..

I also had a new gasket installed on my door. My local Quad dealer will install the gasket for the same price I could buy it for. You can't beat that deal.

Today I'll do the leaf blower trick, and brush out the piping. I'm ready for the season: football and my Castile in the background !

Summer moisture always seems to create issues. Next spring I am tempted to spray Remington "Rem Oil" on the inside of my stove:that would burn off at the start of next season? When sprayed it comes out as a fine mist. Anybody tried this any thoughts?

I can't believe that's it my seventh season with my Castile. To get things ready I wanted to pull, apart and repaint the easy to get to parts.

I removed the three rear panels soaked them in an electrolysis solution, and finished them up with a light wire brushing with my hand drill, and painted with a high temp paint.

While checking around my fire pot I noticed a small place next to one attaching bolt that didn't look right. I pulled the fire pot and sure enough the gasket was broken, and would have leaked air.

I used the same wire brush on the fire pot, and painted.
The stove interior was lightly sanded with emery cloth, and painted.
I removed the exhaust fan, and blew out the crud with compressed air, and installed a new gasket.

Lastly I cleaned the convection blower. Since there is no easy way to clean the fan blades (in my case plastic fan wheels) they really need to be taken off of their shafts, and put in the sink.
Things were going too good so I decided to break one of the plastic wheels. You probably heard me cussing especially when I found out that neither Quad nor anybody else sells just the plastic fan wheel.

I epoxied the wheel back together. Anxious to see if I had any strange noises I fired up the Castile. Much to my surprise I could hardly hear the fan noise. It's actually remarkably quieter than last year.

Here is my theory why I think it's quieter. When reassembling the blower fans onto their shafts I realized I had installed one backwards. I removed that one, and corrected my mistake. I mention this as you really need to look at the way the fan blades are shaped. My theory is that the last time I pulled those wheels off one went on reversed, and must have made it noisier. It will still blow air, but I imagine less than what it should..

I also had a new gasket installed on my door. My local Quad dealer will install the gasket for the same price I could buy it for. You can't beat that deal.

Today I'll do the leaf blower trick, and brush out the piping. I'm ready for the season: football and my Castile in the background !

Summer moisture always seems to create issues. Next spring I am tempted to spray Remington "Rem Oil" on the inside of my stove:that would burn off at the start of next season? When sprayed it comes out as a fine mist. Anybody tried this any thoughts?
Sounds like you realy went to town on it. Post us some pics

Plugging the exhaust pipe with a rag, stops the humid air from getting in to stove,and helps stop a lot of rust also. I also put a pc. of tape on the thermostat reminding me that the exhaust is plugged for when I go to use it in the fall. And some use fogging oil on the inside of the firebox. I use pam cooking spray on mine. Sounds like you went above and beyond on getting that stove ready for the season. Bravo. kap

Last edited:
corkman I should taken a few photos before I fired it up. I looked brand new. Right now it just looks just like a stove that's had a good fire in the pot.

kap I understand plugging or at least covering the exhaust pipe, but you would think that the humidity inside the house would still get inside the stove in the summer ? We don't run an air conditioner in the summer.

Fogging oil as engine cylinder fogger? That sounds like a great, but I was wondering if any oil spray or fogger might ignite with the first fire of the season or just burn off?

I might have gone beyond the norm with the painting, but I think pulling the exhaust motor each season for cleaning, and really checking the burn pot gasket really helps my stove burn well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a clean freak myself. Like things spic and span. Yes, with running no ac in summer, you definitely have to go that extra mile to keep Mr. Rust away. And it is recommended to pull the exhaust fan at end of every season to clean and inspect. kap

I pull my exhaust fan out every ton during season when I clean. Doing leaf blower and good cleaning doesn't take long.

Reactions: kappel15
FishOn are you using the newer orange gasket for your exhaust motor, Up until now I have only used that "regular" white gasket that always seems to rip when the exhaust motor is removed. I am hoping the orange gasket will last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.