Quad Castile start up gone wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rideboard147

Feb 2, 2011
Weatherford Texas (DFW)
My Castile worked fine today, but then when I decided to kick it on for tonight it made some crazy chattering sounds for about 3 to 5 seconds then its like it over feed pellets and I had a huge flame on Low. The flame was going wild and lots of blue flames mixed in. My temp light went from a green light to a red light very fast. It usually takes some time to build up heat. I turned the stat down to call off needing heat. Not sure what the sounds were it did it twice and I have never heard that in the 4 years I have had the stove. Anyone sure what could be going on? I am wondering if maybe the auger bridge up? There are some long pellets in OHP pellets I'm using today.

Before I read to the end, I was thinking bridge.

How long are these pellets in question? Over 2"?

Sounds like you had a pretty large pile up and it let go all at once, then happened again.

Only pellets I ever had a bridge with (flame snuffed out) was with 2"-3" American Wood Fibers.

I think I have seen some 2 in or bigger when I dumped them. I am digging in the hopper to find some. I only bought 3 bags of these and never had this problem with other pellets, but I have also never seen pellets that long before. I let it die down and do a normal shutdown then I cleaned the pot and started it back up and it's working fine now. I did discover more smoke leaks in my vent pipe! I need to trash the Simpson dura pellet vent! Could the exhaust leaks cuz the crazy flames too? I have prob keep rutland in business with all the rtv silicone I have to used on my pipes. Man I sure wish that safety snap disc would kick in sooner on the quad.

Vent leaks wont effect flame. As for the snap disc. They sell lower set point or adjustable ones through Grainger.

I had no idea you could buy a lower snap disc. I wonder what temp I should go for? I need to look in my manual to see what temp the stock one snaps at during a over fire.

I would keep an eye on it but in the end I bet the super long pellets are the culprit. I think the only control changes are in the control for the room "convection" blower so it comes on at 90 degrees instead of 120ish? I would not change any other disks or switches other than that one.

I bought a used Castile this year to help heat the upstairs and the convection blower snap disk was a 145* switch. I replaced it with a 125* disk and it made a big difference, the convection blower comes on much sooner. With the original one, I could not run the stove on LOW without having the convection blower cycling on and off.

I got it from the local Quad dealer and just asked for the lowest temp snap disk for that position.

Thanks for the help guys. I have been running the stove off and on this morning and no sign of that noise or huge fire. I am almost positive now it was a nasty bridge that built up from the long pellets. As for the convection blower I am going to call the dealer on the snap disc. I had the same problem with running on low and the blower going off and on with Rocky Mountain pellets, but not any other pellet so I switch to Patterson pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.