Quad Castile Stove: Vacuum switch/exhaust fan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott_cuddy

Dec 2, 2008
Hermon, Maine
My Quadra-Fire Castile Pellet stove (installed Dec-07) has an exhaust fan on the way out. Sounds like the bearings are going. I'm in the process of getting the replacement, but I'm worried that the fan will die in the night while I'm asleep. Currently I'm not burning the stove at night. Should the vacuum switch disable the stove if the exhaust fan goes?
I unplugged the exhaust fan while the stove was going full bore, but I got smoked out before I could be sure that the stove had stopped feeding pellets into the burn pot. I plugged the fan back in, and moments later the pellets were feeding. I don't know if they had ever stopped, and I'm not sure if vacuum switch would reset itself.
Any help out there?

if the fan fails during the night the stove will shut itself off, no more risk of smoke in home than from a power outage for example

the vac switch will shut down current to the unit if the chimney stops venting, and doesn't need to be 'reset' to function again once obstruction is cleared

dave

Is your exhaust fan giving you a grinding noise, like a "Shhhhhhhhhhh..."? Have you been removing the right cast side and vacuuming in there?

The vacuum switch allows current to go to the feed auger so if you lose the exhaust fan, hence the vacuum, the stove will stop feeding pellets and go out. Depending on your exhaust pipe setup, you might still have enough draft to carry the rest of the smoke out of the stove. The vacuum switch in the Castile does not shut down current to the stove but only to the feed. It does not have to be reset.

I just had to replace mine. You really need to remove the motor and check it. I didn't realize this should be removed and cleaned once in awhile.I paid $185 from the dealer(ouch)! I went on ebay awhile later and saw one for $65. GOOD LUCK!

GIPPER said:
I just had to replace mine. You really need to remove the motor and check it. I didn't realize this should be removed and cleaned once in awhile.I paid $185 from the dealer(ouch)! I went on ebay awhile later and saw one for $65. GOOD LUCK!

Be carefull when comparing fans... I seen $65, fan at ebay..but was 1500 rpm.

Most stoves req. 3000 rpm'

Status
Not open for further replies.