Quad Castille Auger Noise on Startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scagger

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2008
Central MA
My Castille insert started making odd sounds from the auger when i started it a couple weeks ago. It makes almost like a skipping/knocking sound when feeding the pellets and does that for awhile until it's warmed up. Then it works as normal. When I start it again next day, same thing. Is this the sound of the auger telling me it's on its way out? I just find it odd that the noise is inconsistent. FWIW, I did remove the auger before the end of last season because the stove stopped feeding pellets. Turns out that it was a vacuum issue and I had to replace the door gasket.

Auger feeds continuously during first 45 seconds or so when startin, so you'd notice issues here more than the couple of seconds during normal running. Is set screw tight holding auger to motor? If not I'd think it would slip when running resulting in low feeding and small flames besides making noises. Could also be a dry or dirty auger bushing that needs cleaning and plumbing. Lastly it could be damp bound up pellets, a dry motor gear ashy or motor going bad.