Quad Castille Insert loud exhaust fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debonu

Dec 5, 2008
Southern VT
Happy New Year everyone!

I've been dealing with a few issues with my Castille Insert this year that have been expensive and frustrating. My current issue is either a noisy exhaust fan or the motor is going on the exhaust fan. It makes a loud whirring noise intermittent. And it has been thoroughly cleaned twice now. The latest service tech said that if the noise continues after this latest service that we would need to replace the fan.

My question is, can we just replace the exhaust fan or is it the entire exhaust assembly? The entire assembly is obviously fairly expensive.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

People have used this fan as a replacement with reportedly good success. >>> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W3Q4QO...UTF8&colid=8CS88Z6P63FF&coliid=I3JYPX6JPITCRH

you can see that the fan is part of the motor, so it's an easy unscrew, REPLACE GASKET IF NECESSARY, and rescrew. You should have a spare gasket on hand, which you can get from your dealer.

Now you ARE talking the blower that blows out your chimney, right?

Reactions: debonu
Roger, the exhaust and not the combustion fan. Is it a true statement that the life of these fans is only 5-6 years? Which is what the last tech told us.

Thank you for your quick reply!

Roger, the exhaust and not the combustion fan. Is it a true statement that the life of these fans is only 5-6 years? Which is what the last tech told us.

Thank you for your quick reply!
:) Well, I'm still confused as to which blower we're talking about. The one blowing heat out into your room (convection blower) or exhaust up your chimney (combustion)?

The exhaust/combustion fan is one in the same. The convection fan is the one that kicks in after fire has been running for a while and pumps the heat out into the room. If I had to say anything, the life of a combustion fan is anywhere from 2-20 years :). It depends on a lot of factors. In inserts, they seem to have a tendency to get dirtier faster which is usually the cause of their demise. The cleaner you keep them, the longer they will last. You likely have a bearing going bad if it's making noise, and it could die in 2 days.... or a few years. It's not an easy thing to guess. My suggestion on an insert or a home with pets etc. is to pull the blower once a year and clean out the motor etc. with an air compressor to remove ash/dust/pet hair/STUFF etc. This goes for BOTH blowers. As they will suffer the same issues with neglect etc.

They are really easy to replace, so if it does go south I think you should try to replace it yourself. There are plenty of folks here who would be happy to walk you through it, including myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.