Quad CB 1200 and Rockie Mtn Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seldomseensmith

Jun 26, 2010
Northern New Mexico
So I'm burning pellets for the first season and I have been burning Rockies. The question I have is about setting the feed rate. I am burning with the feed about 75 to 80 open. Its getting me a good flame but I was wondering how unusual it is to be so far from the manufacturers set point. Another thing I was wondering is are there any adjustments I can make to the stove? Anybody with a Quad CB that knows internal adjustments that can be made? I understand that there are lots of variables but I've got the basics covered. Good venting. Clean stove. Good seals.
Oh and as a side note. Got Rockies at $166 per ton. I know everyone on here likes that type of info. Also heard that they will be building another mill in Angel Fire, NM this year which is good for SWerners because pellets are a bit scarce down here.

seldomseensmith said:
So I'm burning pellets for the first season and I have been burning Rockies. The question I have is about setting the feed rate. I am burning with the feed about 75 to 80 open. Its getting me a good flame but I was wondering how unusual it is to be so far from the manufacturers set point. I understand that there are lots of variables but I've got the basics covered. Good venting. Clean stove. Good seals.......
Yes, lots of variables. You mentioned "good venting".....maybe you can describe it or send a pic. The vent system can a lot of effect on stove operation.

BTW, I'm burning Rockies right now too.....no difference in stove setting from any other pellet, except for heat output. Their not quite as good as the other pellets I have....hence, the reason I'm burning them in the "shoulder" season.

Have you tried any other pellets?

No I haven't burned any others. There wasn't anything around here to buy that I could find any credible info on and I knew from reading on here that 166 per ton was a good price so I jumped on two tons. There are some hardwoods available but at the 300 + price point.
The vent is a straight shot through the roof. Its a one story house. Ill get some pics if I get a chance.

seldomseensmith said:
No I haven't burned any others........There are some hardwoods available but at the 300 + price point.

You might want to try buying a few bags of the other pellets just to see there's any difference....what brand were they?

I have a quad castile and had 2 bags of rockys left over from last year and one of the bags was unopened. I had to open the feed rate slide all the way open to get the burn where it was last year. I burned one bag of pro pellets and had to move it almost to the factory position. I did like the rockys I just got a better price on the pro pellets.

I moved my stove over and my exhaust outlet up a foot so I now have 5' up and 4' out instead of 4' up and 5' out which gives me better distance from the yard and further away from the deck. I had to adjust the feed again after this. Even a little change in pipe configuration can make a big difference in the setup.

Hey just wanted to tell you on my classic bay I've always had my fuel adjustment about 80% or so to have the proper flame described in the manual. All I've ever burned is hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.