Quad CB 1200 - lazy flame issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktjm

Jan 1, 2017
Kansas
I purchased a used 1200, but since installing it I am having flame issues. It will light and startup with a little assistance (adding fuel), but the flame is lazy to the point is doesn't heat up properly. Once I do get a decent flame, the flame seem to come from the out side the fire pot and comes into the pot through the air holes. After running for a couple hours the pot fills up will pellets but continues to burn. I think this all caused by the lack of air. I have cleaned the baffles, exhaust motor and housing, cleaned holes in the pot, checked the trad door on the pot, and checked to door gasket. I know there is no gasket on the pot and I know I need to replace the gasket on the ash bin. Both are on order. I have read on other posts a mention of a second trap door below the fire pot. Is there two trap doors on the CB 1200 models? Also, is there suppose to be a gasket on the access panel that is just above the ash pan?

Thanks,
Ktjm

Last edited:
Not familiar with your stove (even though they are popular)
A lazy flame indicates a lack of combustion air.
You could have a gasket leak at the door, the ash pan, or the fill hopper (?)
Try the Dollar Bill test (Search the forum)

Another area to check is on the exhaust side. Is your exhaust path clean/clear?.
Is the exhaust blower clean? Is the vent pipe and clean out clear all the way to the weather cap?
Is the exhaust blower moving enough air/exhaust (do you have a bad motor/blower/control voltage?)

Also try a different pellet. Cheaper box store pellets can cause your symptoms.
Try a pellet with high BTU content. Most Douglas Fir pellets are like rocket fuel.
See if that helps.

Reactions: vinny11950
Status
Not open for further replies.