Quad CB 1200 - lazy flame issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ktjm

Jan 1, 2017
Kansas
I purchased a used 1200, but since installing it I am having flame issues. It will light and startup with a little assistance (adding fuel), but the flame is lazy to the point is doesn't heat up properly. Once I do get a decent flame, the flame seem to come from the out side the fire pot and comes into the pot through the air holes. After running for a couple hours the pot fills up will pellets but continues to burn. I think this all caused by the lack of air. I have cleaned the baffles, exhaust motor and housing, cleaned holes in the pot, checked the trad door on the pot, and checked to door gasket. I know there is no gasket on the pot and I know I need to replace the gasket on the ash bin. Both are on order. I have read on other posts a mention of a second trap door below the fire pot. Is there two trap doors on the CB 1200 models? Also, is there suppose to be a gasket on the access panel that is just above the ash pan?

I would see what happens when you replace those two gaskets. There is only one trap door on bottom of pot. Most causes of your situation is a dirty stove or firepot. I would double check the exhaust path, to make sure it is clean. Also double check all pot holes, including the 8 small ones, 4 on angled bottom, and 4 across on front of pot. Pot floor should only have a dimes width opening on the backside. Did you clean the heat exchanger tubes? If you don't have an owners manual, I would download one from Quads website. kap

I have cleaned the heat exchanger and I did check the pot floor and it is tight and all the holes are open. I do have the manual. I was just wonder on the second trap door since the parts list shows Exhaust Plenum Trap Door (812-4100) and I wasn't sure if that was the trap on the fire pot or a second one.

Thanks for your reply

Your manual shows where clean outs are for exhaust fan housing. Too much fuel is another issue that can happen too. You can adjust flame height per manual. kap

I have cleaned the heat exchanger and I did check the pot floor and it is tight and all the holes are open. I do have the manual. I was just wonder on the second trap door since the parts list shows Exhaust Plenum Trap Door (812-4100) and I wasn't sure if that was the trap on the fire pot or a second one.

Thanks for your reply

Technically, there is a second trap door that opens simultaneously with the one on the firepot itself. If you don't have that second one, that's your problem.

There is a second trap door as the previous poster stated. I went through this same diagnosis when setting up a used CB1200 that a great friend had purchased to give pellet burning a try. I was totally unfamiliar with the Quad CB1200 as far as its inner workings, and the first couple of weeks we battled this same issue of lazy, dirty flame; not much heat output and the burn pot eventually filling up with pellets and snuffing out the fire.

After much frustration I discovered the second trap door(underneath the firepot and it's own trap door) and discovered that it was NOT connected to the trap door pull lever on the front of the stove as it should be. In operation, when you pull the lever it opens both trap doors and allows the ash, etc in the firepot to dump down into the ash box. On my buddy's, with the door disconnected it was left partially if not completely open reducing significantly the draft air needed for the stove to burn/function properly.

It was a bit of a pain in arse to get the door reconnected because of the tight space where it is located. A clip the retains the rod to the trap door was missing and at some point when the previous owner dumped the firepot the 2nd trap door became disconnected. I believe this is why the original owner ending up selling it and my buddy got a hell of a deal :) If this is in fact what is wrong with yours, you'll need the clip to retain the rod to the trap door: either a tiny c-clip or similar. We got the proper clip from the local Quadrafire dealer.

Needless to say, after reconnecting the 2nd trap door and restoring the proper draft in the stove, his CB1200 will cook you out of the house !

Best regards,
Randi

Reactions: Buckshot1955
The second trap door should be pretty tight it should scrap when you open and close the burn pot lever. At some point mine had about 1/8 gap and I had to adjust it.

There is a second trap door as the previous poster stated. I went through this same diagnosis when setting up a used CB1200 that a great friend had purchased to give pellet burning a try. I was totally unfamiliar with the Quad CB1200 as far as its inner workings, and the first couple of weeks we battled this same issue of lazy, dirty flame; not much heat output and the burn pot eventually filling up with pellets and snuffing out the fire.

After much frustration I discovered the second trap door(underneath the firepot and it's own trap door) and discovered that it was NOT connected to the trap door pull lever on the front of the stove as it should be. In operation, when you pull the lever it opens both trap doors and allows the ash, etc in the firepot to dump down into the ash box. On my buddy's, with the door disconnected it was left partially if not completely open reducing significantly the draft air needed for the stove to burn/function properly.

It was a bit of a pain in arse to get the door reconnected because of the tight space where it is located. A clip the retains the rod to the trap door was missing and at some point when the previous owner dumped the firepot the 2nd trap door became disconnected. I believe this is why the original owner ending up selling it and my buddy got a hell of a deal :) If this is in fact what is wrong with yours, you'll need the clip to retain the rod to the trap door: either a tiny c-clip or similar. We got the proper clip from the local Quadrafire dealer.

Needless to say, after reconnecting the 2nd trap door and restoring the proper draft in the stove, his CB1200 will cook you out of the house !

Best regards,
Randi

This happened to me too, with a brand-new stove. They make long needle nose pliers that work great for putting that hairpin back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSica
Thank you for your reply. After looking at the manual it appeared there should be a second trap door. Evidentially the previous owner either didn't have it or remove it from the stove because it is gone. I think I may just over the hole with a piece of metal and test the stove again before I purchase a replacement.

Thank for all your help.