Quad CB1200 fs OAK question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooper81

Jan 17, 2012
U.P Michigan
Any CB guys use one? Was just wondering the other day if my 2012 stove would burn differently with one. Seems fine right now without one, (so why even bother), but my curious nature won't allow it. I can't imagine there is a way to utilize fresh air without actually buying and installing one just to compare.

I have one that is 60% installed it will get hooked up to the actual stove this weekend. Im hoping it stops some drafts I feel around the house we shall see.

Any CB guys use one? Was just wondering the other day if my 2012 stove would burn differently with one. Seems fine right now without one, (so why even bother), but my curious nature won't allow it. I can't imagine there is a way to utilize fresh air without actually buying and installing one just to compare.

I have one on my CB1200i. It will run fine without the OAK but the air has to come from somewhere. If its not coming thru the OAK its getting sucked in thru windows, doors, bathroom exhaust fans,or cracks and its at what ever the outside air temperature is.This cold air then travels thru the house to where it gets sucked into the stove and exhausted to the outside after going thru the stove. With the oak the air goes directly from outside into the stove then out. You don't end up with the cold air passing thru the house.That is the purpose of the OAK. If you had a perfectly airtight house the stove would not run after it pulled the house into a vacuum.

I have one on my CB1200i. It will run fine without the OAK but the air has to come from somewhere. If its not coming thru the OAK its getting sucked in thru windows, doors, bathroom exhaust fans,or cracks and its at what ever the outside air temperature is.This cold air then travels thru the house to where it gets sucked into the stove and exhausted to the outside after going thru the stove. With the oak the air goes directly from outside into the stove then out. You don't end up with the cold air passing thru the house.That is the purpose of the OAK. If you had a perfectly airtight house the stove would not run after it pulled the house into a vacuum.

I agree 100% with DB..

You can choose to use air you already paid to heat (inside) and pull cold air into your bedrooms, or use outside air and keep it a closed loop.

The Quad system isn't sealed 100% and people will tell you it doesn't matter. Well air takes the path of least resistance. Once installed, put your ear up to the OAK inlet and tell me it's not working. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.