Quad CB1200 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rparker

Feeling the Heat
Jul 17, 2011
Vermont
Thermostat calling for heat, blower comes on, pellets do not drop (yes it is full). New stove this October. Don't really want to wait til Monday to call shop.
Any ideas?

rparker said:
Thermostat calling for heat, blower comes on, pellets do not drop (yes it is full). New stove this October. Don't really want to wait til Monday to call shop.
Any ideas?

Does the auger turn?

No, auger does not turn. Cleaned out tube to make sure there were no obstructions.

Remember that the auger will ONLY turn for a short time after hitting the reset button AND it will NOT turn if you open the front door since it kills the vacuum that is sucking air through your burn pot. So if you open the door to look up the chute to see if the auger is turning, it won't be! :)

The first thing to do is with an inspection mirror look up the chute and see if you see any pellets up there. You should be able to see just the auger. If it is loaded with pellets, then you have a bridging across the chute, which could be caused by long pellets.

Once you are sure the chute is clear, then the usual next step is to 'jumper' the vacuum switch. That means that you UNPLUG the stove and then remove the two wires attached to the vacuum switch and connect them together with a length of wire. Wrap that with electrical tape so you don't short it out to the stove's frame. There is 110 volts there when you plug the stove back in. Now start up the stove and see if you drop pellets.

Feed back what you see now.

Little history. A couple (2-3) times in the last 2 weeks have had to hit reset button to get pellets to drop. Have tried reset this time, no pellets. Can't get to the vaccum to direct connect wires. No pellets in tube when looking up with mirror.
Think I am just going to have to wait til Monday and call shop. Don't want to void warranty.
Thanks for the help awnyway.

you're welcome. Have you tried opening your feed slide gate? There is no such thing as 'factory set' for its position. It will vary considerably from pellet brand to pellet brand and lot to lot. It should be adjusted per the manual to give you a certain height of flame when running in HIGH. With one brand of pellets (long ones), I have the gate open wide while with another brand (short pellets), it is closed completely. (in the closed position, there is still a considerable gap for the pellets to pass through)

You could very easily have bridging or blockage at the feed gate opening.

Tried that too. Was able to get the vaccum tube off at the pump, blew through it so I know that isn't plugged. This late, going to call first thing in the AM.
A side note: the owner's manual is quite lacking in actual photos / drawings. Schematics of the wiring but would be nice to have real views.

rparker said:
Tried that too. Was able to get the vaccum tube off at the pump, blew through it so I know that isn't plugged. This late, going to call first thing in the AM.
A side note: the owner's manual is quite lacking in actual photos / drawings. Schematics of the wiring but would be nice to have real views.

Yea, I know what you mean! My Sante Fe manual shows the slide feed gate adjuster UPSIDE DOWN! Tell me that didn't screw with my mind!

Let us know what the technician finds so we all learn, please.

Hope you get it resolved.. With the auger Not spinning at all. It Sounds like a vacuum situation. Either the switch, or the stove could have a "leak". Whether its the Ash pan, or the Door gasket.. Dollar bill test is a good way to check it. Put dollar bill in between stove and gasket, then close and latch the door. Try and pull bill out.. Work your way around the entire door, checking a few times on every side (top, bottom, and sides). If it slides right out, then the door latches need adjustment.

Being under warranty its best to have a pro look at it. So you dont do something to void it..

Good luck

Just had a service call on a 1 yr old stove. The auger would not drop pellets. I found the auger tube clogged with fines. The motor bench tested fine but under slight pressure the motor would alternate direction. This caused the auger motor to burn out the capaciter in the motor. Not a stove problem but a customer problem. New auger motor on the way.

Eric

Problem fixed. It was a snap disk. Tech said that they have been having an issue with snap disk #2 on a lot of the new Quad Classic Bays. Asked if I should get an extra and he said if it goes bad, it is a warranty issue. If I get an extra, he would have to charge me $25.00. Instead he gave me his private cel phone number. Seems he carries a supply of them all the time.
Again, thanks everyone for the help.

Very informative! Thanks for the feedback!

Glad it's fixed for you and it sounds like you have a good tech too.

Status
Not open for further replies.