Quad CB1200i - Cleaning rods hard to pull

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyD

Jan 24, 2008
Eastern PA
My two season old Quad CB1200i cleaning rods are getting harder to pull. In fact I have to push them to go back in. Is this a concern?

I usually do a full up cleaning (pull the baffles, etc.) every two weeks. I pull the cleaning rods maybe every other day.

TIA,
Jim

I have a 7 year old cb 1200 freestanding. I've noticed that they were easier to pull when the stove was new. I can feel some drag on mine but I only pull them out once a week and clean out the heat exchangers once a month.

may want try and put a flat head screwdriver in each of the spots in between the tubes and move it around bit dont push to hard tends to loosen the pull rods up.

When you pull the baffles is there a build up on the tubes. Pulling them a half dozen times should clean them.

Some things may have come out of line. With the baffle off check for where its binding and use a screwdriver to pry things around. I had a unit that was sticking pretty good (would not even go down all the way) and after 15 mins of prying I finally got things lined back up again and it was working.

jtp10181 said:
Some things may have come out of line. With the baffle off check for where its binding and use a screwdriver to pry things around. I had a unit that was sticking pretty good (would not even go down all the way) and after 15 mins of prying I finally got things lined back up again and it was working.

I assume you found the tubes warped from overheating, that stove must have really got hot.

It did seem that one of them was warped. This customer at one time had thier feed rate slider off the rail and it was wide open (further than you can normally open it). I had to go to thier house and reset thier snap switch and told them not to mess with the feed rate again. That incident probably is what started the warping of the air tube.

The CB1200's are the only stoves that the exchanger tubes can fall. They may need to be reswedged. By looking at the front of the stoves the tubes should stick out about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Also I have seen a 1200 insert that all of the tubes were warped. Customer burning seed corn. Extremely hot fire. I believe Quadrafire is working on a fix to the warped pull rods.

cornstoves said:
The CB1200's are the only stoves that the exchanger tubes can fall. They may need to be reswedged. By looking at the front of the stoves the tubes should stick out about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Also I have seen a 1200 insert that all of the tubes were warped. Customer burning seed corn. Extremely hot fire. I believe Quadrafire is working on a fix to the warped pull rods.

Mine stick out about 1 inch, 7-08 build date.

I was going though posts of mine and saw this one. Wanted to post an update. One of the recent field updates from Quad had instructions for a kit to fix the exact problem this thread was started for. So anyone having this problem should contact their dealer and see if they can get their unit upgraded. It only applies to the CB1200.

The rods on my 1200i seem to stick only when the stove is still warm. When the stove is cold, they move quite freely. Just my $.02.

Rods are only suppose to be pulled with a cold a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.