Quad Classic Bay 1200 - Cleaning the baffles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eandbnorton

Dec 2, 2009
Idaho
Does anyone actually clean off the baffles? I'm not talking about vaccuuming out behind them, I mean actually cleaning the soot off of the panels. Ours are quite ashy and I'd like to clean them off, but am skeptical of doing so.

To get more responses, edit your post, and add "Quad Classic Bay 1200-I" into the title line.

eandbnorton said:
Does anyone actually clean off the baffles? I'm not talking about vaccuuming out behind them, I mean actually cleaning the soot off of the panels. Ours are quite ashy and I'd like to clean them off, but am skeptical of doing so.

Usually about once a week, I will do a good cleaning of the inside of the unit. This includes lifting the baffles off and cleaning them in the kitchen sink. A little warm water and a scrub pad does the trick. I then let them sit to dry while I clean the rest of the stove out. I also have a brush attachment that came with the vac that I use to brush off what is left on the heat exchange tubes after using the cleaning rods. Also use the brush to loosen and vacuum some of the ash that builds up on the side walls. When done with the inside, the baffles are dry and they can be re-installed.

Oh great. I was worried about getting them wet and maybe rusting. Hubby's a bit of a clean freak, so this will make him happy. Thanks!

eandbnorton said:
Oh great. I was worried about getting them wet and maybe rusting. Hubby's a bit of a clean freak, so this will make him happy. Thanks!

Once the paint burns off and you get them wet they will get a little surface rust but I can't see what that will hurt...

I usually vacuum mine about once every 2-4 weeks but I've cleaned them with water before too.

Status
Not open for further replies.