quad classic bay firepot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skel

Jan 16, 2015
Suffolk, NY
was doing my 1st annual cleaning and noticed that my fire pot has rust on it. does anyone know why this might be? also is it a bad thing? how does one fix this if so? my other quad on the other end of the house however doesnt have any rust on the pot fwiw. thx guys

Don't worry. It should burn off after a good fire. After next season you can spray it with an oil to prevent it from happening again.

what type of oil would you use? i presume its something technical and not olive or grill oil.

ty

You are welcome.

Do you plug your exhaust and oak if you have one, after season is over? Keeps a lot of moisture and critters out. kap

Reactions: FLAMES ON
was doing my 1st annual cleaning and noticed that my fire pot has rust on it. does anyone know why this might be? also is it a bad thing? how does one fix this if so? my other quad on the other end of the house however doesnt have any rust on the pot fwiw. thx guys

No worries, I have the same issue, didn't spray the pot soon enough, and I also let my damp rid run out before refilling.
By the way I used the Pam for the grill, don't think it really matters which one though.

Good advice added by Kap. Spray the pot and plug the vent and outside air. Remember to put a note on your thermostat reminding you to remove the plugging.

Reactions: kappel15
I used Pam spray and a home made "moisture capturator " make out of a mason jar filled with charcoal with holes in the lid, no surface rust on anything!

Reactions: kappel15
Pam works great, and then add some damp rid and just sit it in there... and during the spring and summer no rust should form ..

Status
Not open for further replies.