quad cleaning question ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynut

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
mid mich
42 degrees this morning !
got to get this chimney cleaned soon
got this awsome 5700 steptop............
looking thru the manual it talks about cleaning the chimney
and also how to remove the baffel & combustion tubes.
question is do i need to include removing the baffel & combustion
tubes in my regular cleaning plan or is this something that needs
to be done every second or third cleaning ?
thanks
rn

I have the quad 3100 step top and take out the board and blanket but leave in the tubes. Then just go up and brush the flue and then suck up the dust in the stove. put board nad blancket back in and you are done.

that 3100 must have a big mouth !!! :cheese:
5700 would not let the board out without tube removal
no big deal as they came right out
next time thats the way to go on this stove
the guys on the site said use stainless bolts and some type
of copper anti seeze compound on the threads
only thing is
4 tubes total
3 with small holes and 1 with larger holes
didnt catch that when i was removing the tubes
where does the one with the large holes go ?
thanks
rn

You might want to look and see if the tubes have the holes drilled at different angles too. I know of at least two reburn stoves that have them all at different angles down. The 30-NC thankfully has a diagram of each in the manual for those "whoops" moments.

Hey
Thanks for the tip their BrotherBart
Looked them over and they are all oriented the same way.
What a novel idea
LOOK IN THE MANUAL
DUH !!!
That would be figure 24B on page 24 of the Quad manual
When replacing the secondary tubes be sure the tube with the larger
hole is placed in the front of the stove........
got it !
:bug:

In my 4300st the baffle (boards) are 2 piece's and slip right out the door. I always remove them when i sweep makes things much easier. Ive never put antiseize on my bolts but probably a good idea.

done up top
the 5700 st is one piecebaffel board, so far anyway
manual says pull the front 2 tubes and things will slide out
thats pretty much the way it went
pulled all the tubes while i was at it and hit them with the wire brush
going back together now
also caulked the storm colar thanks to the info from Hearth forum guys
got to go finish it up
thanks for the help
rn

I am waiting for my new brick set for my quad 5100 insert. I had a few broken bricks last year and switched to regular fire brick and was not really happy. The brick was supposed to be in yesterday but they did not call, I will call them next week .
Anyway back to topic, last fall when I replaced the brick I did sort of a heavy cleaning - checkout of everything and removed the secondary tubes. I noticed a few of them were bent, some more than others. I attributed this to me inserting a log while the stove was cooking quite hot and slamming the log into the tubes. I wire brushed the tubes and noticed the air holes were a little blocked or appeared cleaner and larger after cleaning. I straightened the tubes easily by hand using a vice and a larger pipe.
I am replacing the baffle blanket this year also because mine was gone last year. I do remove the baffle when sweeping the chimney but not tubes. It sounds like your stove will not allow this. They come out pretty easy, and mine only go back in one way because of the screw hole.
Someone mentioned anti-seize wont that just burn off in there ? My stove is 12 years old and the screws come out easily.

right
tubes will only go in one way
went out to pick up the stainless screws and antiseeze..........
couldnt find any of it
put things back the way they were
figured i'd pick up the stuff and plug it in next season
although i did not have any trouble removing those screws
glad to hear that you are not experiencing any difficulties
with those screws. Maybe i'll just not worry about that
unless i encounter a problem in the future?
hoping that the problems you're experiencing are due to
the 12 years and not something anually ?
going on my second season with this 5700 and everything
is cleaned and looking good now with no wear showing
first cleaning, caulking, building some tools and some learning
took a little longer than i had expected but next time should be
mush faster
thanks to all that chimed in
rustynut

About the screws. They are stainless steel screws. I worked on a 6+ y/o cape cop (isle royal without the top loader, not in production anymore) stove that was seriously abused. Put the Alan wrench in the screw head, clipped on a vice grip and popped them right out no probs. They wont get stuck.

Hey Hurricane I have the same insert 5100i. Just wondering, so you clean your liner from inside after removal of baffle? I was just looking to clean mine too and was wondering the best way to go about it. seems you helped. It was suggested to me to try to use the "Soot Eater" have you heard anything about this it looks real good if you are cleaning from the inside and up. Just a little north of you too...Funny. Hey anything else you can pass on would sure be appreciated I will certainly do the same. Quads gotta love em

Status
Not open for further replies.