Quad Mount Vernon non ae trouble shooting help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baston8005

Oct 17, 2007
East of Hartford, CT
Last few days, my stove has been running anywhere from 1 hr to 3 hrs then it stops dropping pellets. The red call button light on the side is on and calling for pellets... After it runs thru its cool down cycle, about 5-8 minutes, I can hit the reset button and the stove will fire back up and run for another 1-3 hrs. Today I changed the #3 snap disc but the stove continues to run the same way. I did a big clean on her about a week ago. Im at a loss

Last edited:
First thing to try is jumping the vac switch wires together, making sure they can't ground out on anything and see how the stove does. If it runs good, you will need to clean the vac hose, making sure it has no cracks in it. Poke a wire thru the nipple it attaches to on the drop chute to make sure it is clear. Do the dollar bill test on door gasket to make sure it seals good. Make sure exhaust path is clear. Hook wires back up to the vac switch and see how it runs. If it acts up again, you may have a bad vac switch. Other thing to check is the firepot thermocouple. Pull it out of cover and make sure the end is good. Not cracked or broke. If it is good, put it back in, making sure it touches the inside end of the cover or it won't read temps right. Also make sure it is sticking In pot 3/4 to 1". Also when it quits, make sure the auger has stopped, and not just turning backwards. If it is turning backwards, the auger capacitor could be going bad. That is an easy fix with a capacitor jumper. Let us know how it goes. kap

Im trying jumping the vac switch wires right now. The stove dropped pellets and started like normal. What am I looking for. Pellets are continuing to drop for the time being....Will wait the 1-3 hr to see if it shuts down.

By bypassing the vac switch, if there is a vac issue, the stove will keep running instead of shutting down.

Are you using a thermostat and what does it show you when the stove shuts off? Have you changed pellets recently? What speed setting does this happen on?

To me if your stove starts and runs it shouldn't be a vac switch, tubing, or drop chute port but one never knows.

Would you please explain what you did during your most recent cleaning? When were the batteries changed in your thermostat and the remote wireless unit attached to the stove if your using this type?

The stove is still running after my last post. I run my stove with a thermostat. I usually set it at 74 and let the stove go. When the stove is working correctly the stove gets the room temp to 74 and shuts down. Once the thermostat drops a few degrees, the stove will kick back on and run till it reaches room temp. Ill change the batteries. Depending on what pellets im using, ill adjust the stove settings. But usually the stove is set at high.
Recent cleaning included...remove the 4 interior panels and vac out tubes(use a paint brush to get the hidden crap above the tubes very tight fit), scrape pot, clean chimney pipe with linteater brush and drill.

Is the flame looking good? Not tall and lazy then?

Yes a nice strong flame, a couple of inches above the burn pot. I raised the temp on the thrmostat up to 78 and the room temp is at 75 and rising.

It is pretty rare, but you may have a bad vacuum switch. Inspect the tubing to the switch - look for cracks, holes, splits, looseness at the ends, anything that would leak even a minute amount of air. Make sure that the nipple where the hose connects to (at the stove end) is clear - use a toothpick, air, etc.

If your flame is good and strong with good airflow, your stove is probably not plugged much.

At this point, I suspect the switch or its tubing.

Thanks for the help. For the $40-50 cost for a switch and new hose, it will be worth it. Thanks again

We are not out of the woods yet. Keep testing a bit longer. This just means it might be the switch. Have you done the dollar bill test on your door gasket yet? With good flame, exhaust path is evidently clear. Check the hose and nipple as suggested before? If all these things check out, then I will lean towards the vac switch. kap

One thing I've done on mine is to take the vac switch out of the stove and gently suck on the hose end. Each time Ive done this I've gotten a mess of fine dust out of it. Not nice in the mouth but it gets the dust out. You might also try LIGHTLY knocking the switch against a work table edge with the hose port down. Probably do the same thing as sucking the dust out. I just plain don't like replacing parts just because. I'm not saying Kap and the others are wrong but if your stove is able to run for 3 hours, to me there is nothing wrong with your switch.

When was the last time the door gaskets were replaced? If it was longer then 5 years or so you are due. Do the dollar bill test on the doors with gaskets. Put a dollar bill between the door and the door frame. Close the door and see if the bill pulls out easily. Do this all around the doors. You need to check the ash pan door also. My guess is if it looks like a vaccume issue which is what the others are pointing to you need to check the gaskets first. Buying a new switch and hose will not fix your problem if the door gaskets are shot and you will need to do that after putting in a new switch. May as well check the gaskets before hand as it's easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.