Quad Mt Vernon Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paigewi

Dec 12, 2011
Central Pa
I am new to this forum and after reading the posts, maybe someone can answer my question. I have a Mt Vernon stove that was born on 06/05. It has worked flawlessly since it was installed in Dec 05. It has had regular cleanings and has been trouble free in the past. Recently though, it has a problem feeding pellets through the burn cycle. It will start up and feed pellets as it normally does, but approximately 7 to 8 minutes into the burn cycle, it will stop feeding pellets, the fire will die out until there are embers left in the firepot, then it will start feeding pellets again. As this goes on, I have watched the control box light go from red to green, like it is just starting up, and then back to red. When it goes back to red, it will feed pellets normally for awhile, and then do it all over again. I have had the dealer make a service call on the unit and he tested the thermocouple and re-seated it in the ceramic cover and said that it tested alright. After he left, the problem continued. The stove has been cleaned regularly, so I don't think that it is a problem with dirt. Could it be possible that it thermocouple is intermittant or that the control box is starting to go bad?
this all started after an early October snow storm knock out power to the area. The power cycled on and off for about 2 minutes as fast as it could.

Hi, The red light would likely go back to green after the feed stops as the thermocouple would be cooling off. The green light comes on at 200 deg and the red one at 600.

I would jumper the wires that go to the vacuum switch and test it. As a stove heats up it makes less vacuum and if it's on the edge this would shut off the feed. If your vacuum switch is a rectangle metal box (most likely one) then the glue that holds the actual switch in place is probably giving up. Common with these switches. Quad has an updated vacuum switch that fixes this problem.

If it works fine with the vacuum switch bypassed, and the stove is clean, door gasket is in good shape and the combustion blower doesn't sound odd (bad bearing or something) then I would replace the vacuum switch itself. Part # is SRV7000-531 and available on ebay.

Good luck

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes the stove is on a good surge suppressor. I bypassed the vacumn switch as suggested and the stove worked fine. I ordered a new switch from ebay and as soon as it arrives I will install and post the findings. One question, does it hurt to keep the switch bypassed until the other one arrives, or will it damage the control box or otherwise do harm to the stove?

Is your thermocouple in contact with the porcelain cover. The end must be all the way inside and stick out over the pot.

Edit: You found the problem as I was typing. As for bypassing. Not a good idea to bypass a safety switch. Thats your judgment call.

trucker said:
Thanks for the quick responses. Yes the stove is on a good surge suppressor. I bypassed the vacumn switch as suggested and the stove worked fine. I ordered a new switch from ebay and as soon as it arrives I will install and post the findings. One question, does it hurt to keep the switch bypassed until the other one arrives, or will it damage the control box or otherwise do harm to the stove?

I sent you a PM answer to this, but i should have posted it. The Vacuum switch basically makes sure the exhaust fan is running. If the exhaust fan went out while burning it would continue to drop pellets for a bit but I would not expect this to be a big issue in the short term.

pip3398 said:
trucker said:

I sent you a PM answer to this, but i should have posted it. The Vacuum switch basically makes sure the exhaust fan is running. If the exhaust fan went out while burning it would continue to drop pellets for a bit but I would not expect this to be a big issue in the short term.

Or the exhaust isn't plugged, it is a safety device, fine to bypass for testing, not really a good idea to run that way.

As Dexter said your call.

SmokeyTheBear said:
pip3398 said:
trucker said:

Or the exhaust isn't plugged, it is a safety device, fine to bypass for testing, not really a good idea to run that way.

As Dexter said your call.

Your right Smokey, He had said that he cleaned things regularly so I went with the basics. I figured a couple of days was probably safe.

Thanks for the info men. I have decided to just shut the stove down and wait for the switch to arrive. No use worrying about a safety concern this time of the year. Can live without the stove for a couple of days. Any ways, thanks again. You folks know your stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.