Quad MTV AE vs E2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcdr18

Dec 11, 2015
Illinois
I think I have my selection narrowed down to the Mt Vernon AE or E2 model.

From what I've read on here, both models seem to have the bugs worked out. Both have a similar btu output.

What are major differences between the two models?

Can the E2 be hooked up to a battery back up? I know the AE can.

I'd prefer whichever model is more reliable. I intend to have a steady burn without having to tinker with it very much at all.

Thanks

Best thing I would suggest is to download the operators manuals of both and read them.
I would lean towards the AE because I like to feed stoves something other than pellets and the fuel source is in the back yard and about $130/ton but understand that I have the needed equipment to handle corn. Burning corn also needs a better venting.

Reactions: bags
I agree with Bio ... read the owner's manuals. What did the dealer have to say?

Hi KCDR- both good choices. The AE is more complex, has a higher price and its repair parts are a bit more too (espec motherboard and wall control units). The noise from either is very low- super quiet stoves. Both are wonderful heaters. The E2 seems better with the updated control boards (No glass has shattered since upgrade that I know of) and of the two is more typical pellet stove with its manual dumping of the burnpot residue and ac powered components. (The AE has auto clean and is dc and ac powered). The AE is a fine stove but the E2 is outselling it by a large margin, prob due to its a simpler design and is about 500 dollars less in its price. Good luck, I'd try to see them both run at a dealer, thinking you'll be happy with either.

Is there a battery back-up option for the AE? E2? Might be a good selling point if your area is prone to outages...

The dealer visited our house today to see where I wanted to place the stove and to provide his suggestions. He gave me a quote for both models and stated he feels the E2 is the model he recommends for us.

IF you are only going to burn pellets, I would go with the E2. Otherwise the AE hands down. kap

No, it doesn't have the battery back-up. But you can burn a mix of corn/pellets. I don't get into the price of options, just work on em and sell some parts. Sorry kap

Just the AE.
Caught the mention of the DC/AC powered above and wanted to confirm. Nice option along with the multi-fuel:)

kcdr, AE might be a bit more money but thinking the flexibility of power and fuel are great options!

Reactions: kappel15
I don't foresee burning anything besides pellets. At this point, I'm not sure I want to mess with it. My wife stays home with our kids, so I'd like to stay away from as many potential issues as possible - not that burning things besides pellets is troublesome, but I assume for us, only feeding pellets through it would be easiest. I'd be sold on the E2 if it had the battery back up. I really like that option. We do live in a small town and we are prone to power outages during storms. On the other side, I'm not sure I want the auto clean cycle that the AE comes with.

I decent UPS can bridge minor power problems and help save the fussy expensive control boards.

We do live in a small town and we are prone to power outages during storms
Generator might be a wise purchase... especially with little ones in the house. Allows you to keep the lights and appliances going as needed and the heat on. Search the topic on the forum as there are lots of discussions ...

If you want the battery backup built in option, you are going to have to go with the AE, unless you do an external solution.

Also, I don't see to much trouble with the Auto-clean on the forums (not to say it it's perfect), but it seems most people don't have issues with it. If you want as maintenance free as possible while you are out, then it would be the way to go. Not that cleaning out the burnpot is hard, but I guess you don't know for sure until you find out what type and quality of fuel you have available to you. You may get a bad batch or ton of pellets and wish you had the auto-clean so you don't have to chip clinkers out when you get home from work....I have a batch I'm going through that I have to clean the burn pot every day, vs. hardly ever with another brand (just ash really,no clinkers). But another batch of the same didn't have clinkers. SO you never know.

Also, just because it burns more than just pellets doesn't mean you ever have to use that feature. I just look at it as for $500 I get the option to burn whatever I want, and built in battery support. Good luck deciding!

Hi KCDR- am kinda surprised so much seemingly support for the AE- remember a few years back when folks weren't so kind as its bugs (The AE's) were being worked out. You mentioned price, you can have an enameled E2 for about the price of an AE painted black. The AE is a fine stove, but for the less expensive parts to be needed in the future and the initial lower cost and only burning pellets, I'd still go with the E2. Prob cause I still remember lots of pain from the AE in its' earlier days.....

Hi KCDR- am kinda surprised so much seemingly support for the AE- remember a few years back when folks weren't so kind as its bugs (The AE's) were being worked out. You mentioned price, you can have an enameled E2 for about the price of an AE painted black. The AE is a fine stove, but for the less expensive parts to be needed in the future and the initial lower cost and only burning pellets, I'd still go with the E2. Prob cause I still remember lots of pain from the AE in its' earlier days.....

I'm new to this pellet stove arena, but I use the same approach to most things. If a company works hard to fix a problem, and subsequently fixes the problem with a new (or updated) design, new default settings (software or hardware), etc. then no grudge is held towards that company, or a particular product...(current version of that product).

That is why I never buy 1st or even 2nd generation of almost anything, even from a company I happen to love their products to begin with. I can't expect them to get it right the first time. Granted you could go on and say they should have tested more, etc. but until you get something out in the wild you never really know. To me it seems the original Mt. Vernons had a lot of issues, but from what I see, almost all of them were fixed by 2011 or so. So to put any negative reviews from the earlier models to somebody buying a newer model isn't fair to them (the buyer) or to Quadra-fire.

Now if they were buying a used one, now that's a different story of course...:confused:

Of the two models, I've decided to go with the E2. I visited the garage at my local dealers home this evening to see an E2 live in action and I liked what I saw. However, now I'm second guessing myself and whether or not it's stupid of me to not just get a natural gas stove. A gas stove is significantly cheaper up front and I think my monthly expenses would be approximately the same to run the stoves. I know a gas stove wouldn't put off as much heat, but the difference in maintenance and purchase prices are hard to not consider.

I saw a used Empire NG heater 35k for $100 and the DV kit from Amazon another $100. Thats hard to beat heat.

I bought an E2 to replace my Hearthstone I where I burned wood for almost 30 years. With the warm temperatures I haven't got to see the real output of the stove yet, but so far it runs fairly quiet,looks nice and beats hauling wood in the cold and snow of New England twice a week. With 4 tons in the basement waiting for mother nature to flip the switch, I'm ready. Good luck with the E2.

Status
Not open for further replies.