Quad MTV AE vs E2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi KCDR- both good choices. .

I bought the old AE 2008 and it cost well over 3k plus another 400 for upgrading thermocouples, burn pots, and igniter. I'd lean toward a Harman because if you need to service your Mt Vernon, at 200-250 an hour you are in for a BIG surprise. I have not had one night of sleep knowing my house would be warm the next morning. These units, even the newest ones, are new technology which means constant breakdowns and repairs. Techs must wait for the unit to light, stand around while it burns etc. Then if the unit keeps shutting down, they troubleshoot again and they have to wait again. Let me tell you, it's not worth the hassle.

I'm a 52 year old woman, and I'm constantly troubleshooting this stove. If it works properly, it's heaven. The Amish have a self feeding stove where you NEVER need to lift pellets again. The storage unit feeds it right into the stove. You just make sure they deliver the pellets and a vacuum system brings it to the stove. Find out what stove it is. Avoid the MT Vernon like the plague. Yes, it has a backup system, but what good is it if it constantly breaks down due to technology and poor replacement products.

Search for error messages on the stove of your choice and see how many complaints pop up. Unless you are handy or rich, you're going to tire of all the problems that will come with the Mt Vernon. I don't think they have all the kinks worked out. I'm still hearing and seeing igniter issues from costly junk parts. If your store you bought it from goes out of business for some reason, other dealers generally don't want to repair someone else's product either. Really horrible trying to find help around here!

Try a Harman. They don't seem to have nightmare issues. Otherwise, look online for Amish self feeding stoves.

I'm constantly troubleshooting this stove
Maybe have to use a 12 gauge with some buck shot, Oh I'm bad, coffee way to strong, I would probably have a melt down and use a couple pounds of thermite and enjoy the heat , although for a very short time. Sorry for the grief your experiencing.

I have a 2012 Mt. Vernon AE insert and haven't had one problem. Runs great and it's quiet. I think the newer ones have had much more reliability. I have friends with them and no issues with the newer models.

Status
Not open for further replies.