Quad question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryBack

Dec 27, 2005
Western Massachusetts
A gentleman was telling me anout a new Quad pellet stove recently. Told me it was maintenance-free and self-cleaning. Anyone know anything more about this unit? Thanks!

Sounds like the new Mt. Vernon. It's not "maintenance free", but does have a burnpot auto-cleaner.

FWIW, my experience with the older 1200i was pretty low maintenance also. I cleaned the burnpot once every 2 weeks and there was very little cleaning to do at that with good fuel. However, I never burned corn. The new Mt. Vernon is multi-fuel and can burn many different bio-fuels.

I looked at a Quad pellet insert last weekend, forgot the name, but it was huge! 60,000 BTU's. Dealer said it was Quads new insert. It looked just like the Castille but twice as big. I don't think it was maintenance free or self cleaning tho.

Harry ASk MSG why he being a quad dealer he does not sell Mount Vernons also ask why most dealers have sent their inventory back to Quad..

I save MSG from answering Way too many problems. many dealers need computer programing to a laptop and correct USB connector to upgrage the firm ware.
Which almost nobody has.. the new release has not been smooth

ouch...thanks Elk. I was pretty doubtful when I heard it was self-cleaning, and no maintenance.....didnt make sense. Thanks fro the input, Elk!

Its not maintenance free, but it requires the least amount of maintenance out of all the quad pellet units. The burn pot dump the ashes out by itself at the end of every cycle and then scraps them to the edges of the ash pan. It comes with a really nice fully programmable thermostat which is pre-set to burn 7 different fuels. As the unit is tested with more fuels they will be available to upload to the thermostat with the USB cord (I just got mine from the RDC today).

The unit did have some trouble when it first came out. They pulled a bunch of stock back and did repair kits on them. Seems like they worked out all the major issues now. Its a really neat stove with a lot of new technology and ideas thrown into it. There are bound to be a few problems but from I have experience with them, Quad and HHT are great about taking care of their customers.

I haven't heard of dealers sending lots of stove back. That seems pretty expensive. Last I heard most issues had been worked out and things have settled down. I'd love to try one if I had space/need for a second stove. jtp10181 is this a special, proprietary USB cable or a normal to mini USB cable that one would see for a digital camera?

Its a special USB cable. The end that goes into the stat is really wide and thin from what I saw. I only peeked at it for a second. It also comes with a software CD that you need. The cost is $99 I think. The coolest thing about it is you can get diagnostic info off the stat with it. Like a car! I can't wait till people's AE's start breaking around here so I can play with it, heh.

Unfortunatly most people around here have NG or LP furnaces so out Pellet and wood sales are really starting to slow down a lot (Pellet was never good to start with). Mostly we sell gas direct vent fireplaces. IMO Pellet units are much more fun to work on. Yes, I think fixing fireplaces is fun. Come to think of it, I have fun fixing just about anything... cars, computers (my specialty), printers, etc....

Well, it still sounds like a good stove, but the proprietary USB cable is lame. $99 for a USB cable?! This sounds like a Pentagon part. There's no excuse for that except to prevent the homeowner learning more about their stove.

The kit also came with some "diagnostic thermostat". Thats probably where most of the cost comes from.

I have no idea WTF it is for. I am assuming you hook it up to the stove and it has some sort of advanced diagnostics you can run.

Ah, well perhaps that's for those that don't own a field laptop. In that case maybe it's justified.

Also causes me to raise the question about what OS the CD runs on, and whether it's open source or proprietary... Far as I'm concerned if it requires a Microsoft O/S I'd consider it a prime candidate for a "Defective By Design" sticker...

Gooserider

Let me sell ya a $4,000 pellet stove - and, to fix that, a $1,000 laptop along with a subscription to our operating system....and, to fix that, a subscription to our extended warranty and upgrade program, and to fix that, a subscription to our virus blocker!

Why not a simple USB connector and the ability to either put the program/error log on a thumb drive and then the ability to upgrade the program by placing a data file on the thumb drive on your computer (mac or pc - just a data file!) and then place it back in the stove...and hit some button combo which sucks it in.

This is somewhat how cable modem upgrades work - although we use a web browser to upload the new data file.

I guess if they can build this into a $29. cable modem, there is no reason why a $3000+ pellet stove can't hook to your ethernet network and be upgraded that way?

I quoted the price wrong... or they changed it. Its listed at $59.90 in the price book update that just came out. But yeah... good ideas webmaster. An option to hook up a thumb drive would be nice for the dealers who do not have laptops. I suppose though if you really need something done and complain to Quad they would prob send the sales rep (or someone else nearby) out with thier laptop to to the stuff with the USB cord.

Webmaster said:
Let me sell ya a $4,000 pellet stove - and, to fix that, a $1,000 laptop along with a subscription to our operating system....and, to fix that, a subscription to our extended warranty and upgrade program, and to fix that, a subscription to our virus blocker!

Why not a simple USB connector and the ability to either put the program/error log on a thumb drive and then the ability to upgrade the program by placing a data file on the thumb drive on your computer (mac or pc - just a data file!) and then place it back in the stove...and hit some button combo which sucks it in.

This is somewhat how cable modem upgrades work - although we use a web browser to upload the new data file.

I guess if they can build this into a $29. cable modem, there is no reason why a $3000+ pellet stove can't hook to your ethernet network and be upgraded that way?

They dont want end users messing with the controller. I specificly asked last year at the regional training about end user upgrades, and they said no way no how.
The other local dealer is sending back 42 of these units from last year. They were the first production run (always a mistake to buy IMO) and we had a weak pellet season around here.

MountainStoveGuy said:
They dont want end users messing with the controller. I specificly asked last year at the regional training about end user upgrades, and they said no way no how.
The other local dealer is sending back 42 of these units from last year. They were the first production run (always a mistake to buy IMO) and we had a weak pellet season around here.

Well, at the risk of giving out free advice...which never stopped me before!

An ethernet connection as I mentioned could give someone the basics - for instance, run a checking program and report if things were OK. It would be really easy to only allow actual modifications once a certain password (or various passwords) were entered. The key here is that why should a manufacturer have to send a dealer out to 10,000 stoves....assuming another flaw or improvement is found way up the pike?

I think this is where things are headed - and it's only a matter of the first manufacturer to do it.

On another note, imagine the increased sales if we could watch the stove data (pellet feed, temps, etc.) while we were BSing on Hearth.com - definitely a competitive advantage.

Oh, and while I am at it we might as well make it wireless...not bluetooth - but the regular 802.11

Remember, I predicted it......I say within two years someone will get it right.

MSG, did the other dealer send back the stoves due to a defect or due to lack of stove sales? That's an important difference.

I'm with you Craig. It's fairly easy to programatically lock out the user from certain areas of operation and diagnostics. There are lots of devices out there including our heat pump thermostat that have dealer service codes that unlock a deeper level of service options. Our DVD player and car has these too. But remote web and email access to temp settings and status would be sweet.

She: "Honey do you think we can go out to dinner right after work?"

He "Sounds good, but I just got an email saying we're down to 1/4 load of pellets in the stove. I know, I'll drop the temp down 3 degrees. That should hold it for a couple hours."

She: "Wonderful, you're so clever."

Status
Not open for further replies.