Quad Santa Fe owners - Is it REQUIRED to have the t-stat connected?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
getting ready for tomorrow for the first fire in the new stove, was looking at the manual and it says the following:

"A 12 volt AC thermostat is required to operate this pellet appliance. You may use the included wall mount thermostat or purchase an optional programmable thermostat or remote control. It is equipped with an adjustable
heat anticipator. The current rating is .05 amps. The anticipator needs to be adjusted to the lowest setting available
."

I thought this should be OPTIONAL, comments??

You need to jump the thermostat connection or the stove won't work. If you want to hook up the thermostat and just put it to +90 deg it will run all the time.

I would not run my 1200 without the thermostat in the system, saves lots of pellets.

Yes, you will. The stove is either on or off and is controlled with a tstat. Not sure why you would want to run it with out though, as slls says it saves a lot of pellets and you do not have to mess with it except to add pellets and clean it weekly.

i guess i'm used to my other englander stove in the 1st floor running without one.

I really love the concept of having a wireless t-stat but at a $100 or so....yikes....just a bit pricey right now..

forgot to say that I'm thinking about running the stove not constantly but when we use the basement space.

If you really don't want a thermostat (although I can't imagine why) just hook up a light switch to the 2 thermostat leads... Personally I'd use the cheap one that comes with the stove for an intermittent use application like yours unless the usage time is consistent in which case I'd get a programmable Honeywell or something...

The last thing I need is one more remote control to fool around with :cheese:

I will install the t-stat that came with it then, I just didn't want to run the long wire across the room and trying not to buy the wireless t-stat as of yet due to the price.

Since you guys have Quads, I have one more question, did you ever changed the feed rod in the hopper?

I will try running the stove in low when I run it and wonder if I should start playing with the feed rate or just leave it as is.

I did fiddle around with it for a while. I settled upon about 50% open finally (with the Hamer's Hot Ones). I may have to tweak it a bit once I start burning the LG Granules.

Basically if you are finding the flames getting uncomfortably high you'll want to close the gate a bit.

I used the manual setting, when on high setting and the stove been burning a while set the feed to 4-6 inches flame out of the pot.
Mine might be a little high but I only run it on medium.

I have my Castile on a thermostat, and 2 switches. 1 switch turns on/off the thermostat. Took the output from the t-stat and ran it thru a switch. Allows us to turn off the unit without having to go to the other room to turn off the thermostat. The other switch is a manual on/off switch, used to turn unit on/off when thermostat is not calling for heat. Both switches located within six feet from stove, making it easy to control for my family.

I have opened/closed the adjustment for the feed rate. It all depends upon the pellet that you are burning. If you burn on low, your fire may go out if your not feeding enough pellets. Also, if your feed rate is too high, you might trip one of the snap discs that prevent the stove from overheating. Just have to set it to where you are happy.

Best of luck on your burning!

I run my quad 1200 with the thermostat and when it is cold in Jan I just set the thermostat to a higher setting to keep it running constantly. I installed a programmable tstat and have the stove startup early in the morning when the temps are marginal to warm up the house before we get up. I have found what I like as a good setting for the feed rod and market the setting with a permanent market, however I open it up once a day wide open when the stove is running 24 hrs a day to get rid of the sawdust buildup for about 15 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.