Quad Sante Fe insert small fire on low setting sometime smelling sm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

K541

Jan 11, 2023
Oregon
A little history stove has been mostly trouble free since new think it’s about15years old ,two seasons ago replaced pot gasket last year feed motor. Running on medium or high no problem but on low the fire seems to small and sometimes you can smell smoke. Yes the pellet feed is all the way open making the adjustment on high setting also I feel the flame should be a lot bigger on high and medium .Really need this stove to run well on low as that’s what works best for us overnight. Was also thinking of replacing thermal coupler? Any thoughts or troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated.

Have you changed pellets? This behavior is new since when? You have cleaned out both convection and combustion blowers?

It doesn’t sound like a thermal-couple issue. Feed rate as I understand it is a fixed motor speed and it only used the thermal probe to know that the the temps are high enough that it’s still burning.

Sounds like a pellet or feed issues or combustion air issue

Sounds like an airflow problem. Did you try cleaning your venting? Are the holes open in the burn pot?

Thanks for the replies will try to clean both blowers out and check exhaust venting. Yes I did notice that some brands of pellets were more prone to the smoke issue.The pellets I use are always made from Douglas fir as I live in the PNW also wondering if the pellet feed tube might have too many fines sawdust also the exhaust blower I replaced a few years ago the bearing got noisy replaced with not a factory quad blower used ,the hvac guy at the store told me it would work fine just wondering if it might not be moving enough air.Air holes in the pot are open check them on a regular cleaning.One more thing I used to get clinkers in the fire pot not anymore just a lot of fly ash?

What Former Farmer he said