Quad Shopping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Looking at a 2010 Rancher ES 4x4 that lists for $6,299. I know this will vary widely, but how much should I expect a dealer to come off MSRP? Anyone with relevant experience?

Assuming we're talking about a Honda Rancher? Haven't priced a new ATV lately, but I think this would be in the ballpark for a Honda Rancher . . . Hondas are pretty tough, but they tend to have higher price tags and fewer features compared to many other ATV manufacturers.

When we recently bought a new one I just made an offer. It was rejected but they came back with a counter offer. We dickered a bit but when we came to terms it was close to what I originally offered. They way I look at it is that the worst thing that could happen is they simply reject it. Somehow I always have had the feeling they assume you are shopping at more places than just their business and they don't want to lose a sale.

Backwoods Savage said:
When we recently bought a new one I just made an offer. It was rejected but they came back with a counter offer. We dickered a bit but when we came to terms it was close to what I originally offered. They way I look at it is that the worst thing that could happen is they simply reject it. Somehow I always have had the feeling they assume you are shopping at more places than just their business and they don't want to lose a sale.

Thanks Dennis. That's what I was planning on doing, but I don't know what ballpark to make the initial offer (what's a reasonable expectation). When it comes to cars I know what I'm doing because it is pretty easy to find out what they paid, but I have no clue on ATVs.

maybe $300. Could get more if paying with CASH.

CASH is King right now.

Offer them 5500.00 As FF Jake says they are tough units. I got a 2000 Rancher that has bee brutally beaten and all i had to replace was front axels, still running.

The only negative I've heard of them is they are a bit rougher ride than others, but that is not a big thing with most folks. It is with me and my bad back but I still looked at them before going with the Yamaha.

Make sure you get a out the door price!!! The dealer I usually deal with didn't carry the mules so he found me a dealer that had them. We settled on a price for it but I had to have it ordered and I got hit with delivery, destination and setup charges. Since I rarely buy something new I had no idea what to look out for and the dealer I usually deal with always takes good care of me.

Billy

The best I've been able to do is get an OTD price = MSRP. Still shopping around. Cash deal has its perks.

Lukem, one more thing we did on our purchase when they came back with a counter offer and we dickered back and forth, on the final offer I said I would accept....but would have to pay using a credit card. Amazingly, they agreed. So that saved me a hundred or more on the price. So all we had to do is pay off the credit card the next month and all was taken care of.

My buddy is a small engine/cycle mechanic and he says Honda Quads are far and away the best. You can save a boatload of money if you pick up a model that has a year or two on it. A lot of people baby their quads and, after a couple of years, decide that they are not using it enough so they sell it. The first thing to check on is whether it has been rolled or not.

Rich, you can get that opinion of several atvs. It is based mostly on emotion, so I rarely put much faith in it. I've had mechanics tell me the same about Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, etc. It just depends upon which one they happen to like the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.