Quadra Fire 1100i Won't Start - Makes click & light humming sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edensacres

Oct 13, 2009
Central West Virginia
Ours is a 1994 model that came with the house we bought 3 years ago. It just stopped working a couple days ago in the middle of burning. Now, when I hit the reset button it makes a single click sound and a light humming sound. The igniter gets very hot and turns red. No pellets drop at all. I have taken off both side panels and vacuumed as well as possible. Still nothing. I have taken out the control box and reinserted it. Neither of the lights come on the control panel. The thermocouple is not cracked. Both of the ceramic wire nuts were loose, but the wires were still together and I tightened the wire nuts. Still nothing.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ben

Can you see the auger moving? you may have to empty the pellets to be sure....perhaps the auger is just jammed?

Is the combustion fan running?

Not familiar with the 1100 i, no information on the Quad web site, too old I guess. The auger will not drop pellets unless the combustion fan is running ,needs vacuum. Are there any fuses to check, the no lights on the control panel does not sound good.
If you know electrical, check and see if the combustion fan is getting power.

I found a 1100i owners manual online, not much in it, no wiring schematics. In trouble shooting it stated that the 2 lights on the control box control checks the proper operation of the thermocouple and control box.

If you have a Quad dealer near you, call and see if it could be tested if you brought the box to them, that is what the manual recommends. I think the no lights on the control box needs to be remedied.

Bad news, one place online had new box for $359.

If I can't get it working I'll probably call the dealer and see what they can do for me, but the nearest dealer is 2+ hours from the house as we live deep in the mountains of West Virginia.

That sure is a long ways , good luck.

If the combustion fan is not running there will be no vacuum, the fan must be running for the stove to work. The fan running is very basic, turn power on and fan runs.

edensacres said:
A quick update:

I was able to remove the vacuum hose and suck on it briefly to trip the switch and I can get the auger going, but not the combustion fan. Any other suggestions?

If you can access the 2 wires leading to the comb. blower motor, see if you have an old lamp cord w/ the plug laying around the basement. Strip the wires, connect the motor leads to the lamp cord and insulate w/ electrical tape, and plug into wall outlet....the fan should run full speed. If not, there's your problem.

Check #3 snap disc, burn back protection. It is located in auger housing area, push in center button to reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.