Quadra Fire 1200 Convection Blower...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyqua

Oct 22, 2011
NY
Hey all,
Hope someone can give me advice on this one. We just purchased a *BRAND NEW* Quadra Fire Free standing 1200 pellet stove and I just finished installing it. I am very handy so everything is professionally done. I will put up a picture soon. The stove heats up in the beginning well and I have the thermostat hooked up as well and works fine, but I noticed that it wasn't really blowing air, I mean I can def feel the heat off of it when I am close to it but not blowing. I opened the lower side panel and I can see the blower not spinning. Does any one have an idea why the blower is not working? I had the stove on for 30min and no blower. This is a brand new stove. It is still under warranty but if I can fix it by your help without waiting for a technician that would be cool.

Thanks,
Vinny

VinnyM said:
Hey all,
Hope someone can give me advice on this one. We just purchased a *BRAND NEW* Quadra Fire Free standing 1200 pellet stove and I just finished installing it. I am very handy so everything is professionally done. I will put up a picture soon. The stove heats up in the beginning well and I have the thermostat hooked up as well and works fine, but I noticed that it wasn't really blowing air, I mean I can def feel the heat off of it when I am close to it but not blowing. I opened the lower side panel and I can see the blower not spinning. Does any one have an idea why the blower is not working? I had the stove on for 30min and no blower. This is a brand new stove. It is still under warranty but if I can fix it by your help without waiting for a technician that would be cool.

Thanks,
Vinny

The blower doesn't come on immediately as it waits for the stove to hit a certain temp. However, it seems like it should come on w/in 30min of startup. Give it a little more time and see if it comes on. The stove shut down automatically if it gets too hot.

Depending on your heat setting. The stove will take awhile to kick on the convection blower. It does not just come on right away. 30 min seems like a long time.

Fire it again. And measure the time again. If it really is 30 min, then something is wrong. But the stove must heat up 1st.

One other thing... Did your Dealer do a Pre-Burn of the stove? Was there any pellets or ash in it?

Also, open the right side doors and you will see 2 snap disc's (about an inch in diameter with 2 wires going to each) make sure the wires are connected firmly and the snap discs themself are not loose. The snap disc is what tells the convection (room air) blower when to come on. Once it hits its pre-set temp (120* I think) then it closes the contact and makes a connection, which in turn, powers up the blower.

It takes about 10-20 min to get mine on. On the Low setting. On a higher setting it should be a little quicker.

The heat you are feeling. Is just heat naturally rising out of the exchange tubes. This is normal until the blower comes on.

No, it was never preburned. We got it delivered brand new in the box. Our house even smoked up a little from the new paint smell from the firebox. I believe it's the snap disc because I unplugged the stove and by passed the snap disc with alligator clips and the blower came on as soon as I plugged the stove back in. I'm gonna give it a shot again and give it 40 min. If I decide to call the dealer and tell him that I found the problem and asked him for a replacement part would that void my warranty?

I dont see how it would void your warranty. Its a replacement part. Dont go over 30 minutes. It should kick on before 30 min. The combustion blower will run for 18 minutes after the call for heat is lost (turn unit "off")

Hope it works. . . Its a good unit. With great heating capabilities.

How big is your house? Single story? 2 Stories? Is it being placed in the living area? Or basement?

Heating about a 1,000 sq ft area. It's in my living room which is connected and open to my dinning room and kitchen than a hallway to all the rooms.

VinnyM said:
Stove just kicked off by itself.

While it was running? How long was it on? You may have just tripped snap disc #3. High temp limit. Has a reset button. Its connected by the auger..

Did the convection blower ever come on?

As for your house size, you should do just fine. I am heating double that amount. Or almost 2,200 sq. It will take you some time to figure out how you want to run it. Whether you keep it on the thermostat or run it 24/7.

The onlu advise I would give you now, is to try not to burn on High. For 2 reasons. Your space being so small. High will heat it up really fast, and not leave a good soak temp and also because prolonged periods on High is not good for firebox. Heating on a lower setting will have the stove on longer. But in turn, it will stay off longer also. I use Low setting regardless of using the T-stat (shoulder seasons) or running 24/7 (dead of winter/coldest months).

Dont run it over 20-30 min without the convection blower kicking on.

Call your dealer. Something is wrong. If its brand new, then there is something wrong. Prob something simple. But no need to dig into it yourself. If it was a loose wire o.k. But something is not right.

Yes it was running, it was on for about 40min and the blower did not come on. Yes i was planning on leaving it on the lowest setting, maybe on medium on colder nights. I will call my dealer... do you think he would be able to replace my snap disc and it not voiding my warranty?

I dont know why you think the dealer replacing the disc will void yoir warranty. Thats why you have a warranty. So when something breaks, it gets replaced. No voided warranty. This is a warranty claim.

In my opinion. They should have done a test burn. To ensure it worked properly and also to "burn" in the stove.

Running 40 min is WAY to long. It may be a bad snal disc. May be a loose wire going to the convection blower. Whatever it is, its brand new and should be fixed. Period... How far away is your dealer? Was it a reputable stove shop?

DexterDay said:
.....In my opinion. They should have done a test burn. To ensure it worked properly and also to "burn" in the stove.....

Dex, the OP did the install himself. The stove was still in the box when he got it....no reason the dealer needs to do this with an owner-self install.

As far as the blower, if it hasn't come on after 30 minutes, and the stove has a strong fire going, then the snap switch most likely is bad.

If you replace the snap switch and the blower still does not come on, the control board is probably bad.

imacman said:
DexterDay said:
.....In my opinion. They should have done a test burn. To ensure it worked properly and also to "burn" in the stove.....

Dex, the OP did the install himself. The stove was still in the box when he got it....no reason the dealer needs to do this with an owner-self install.

As far as the blower, if it hasn't come on after 30 minutes, and the stove has a strong fire going, then the snap switch most likely is bad.

If you replace the snap switch and the blower still does not come on, the control board is probably bad.

I did a self install and my dealer did a test burn on my Quad. They do it on all stoves, regardless of them installing or a self install. And my dealer knows very little about these stoves.

Just a question, I did forget about him saying he got it in a crate. I agree about the snap disc, but I would still have the dealer fix it.

Got it fixed. I went and got a new snap disc from the dealer and replaced it. Thanks all for your inputs.

VinnyM said:
Got it fixed. I went and got a new snap disc from the dealer and replaced it. Thanks all for your inputs.

Good to hear it was an easy fix.....now we're waiting on the pics..... :)

imacman said:
VinnyM said:

Good to hear it was an easy fix.....now we're waiting on the pics..... :)

We love Pics. Good luck. Its a heck of a heat thrower. Great stove. Controls dont get any easier..

VinnyM said:
I just noticed... Is there a off switch on this stove or its only controlled by a thermostat?

Thermostat only. Yep.... Are you using the standard stat that it came with? I have a wireless Skyteck 5301 remote T stat. Works well. Wish I had the 5301P or 3301P for the programable factors. But I use the stat very little anyways.

Yes I'm using the one it came with. I've noticed I'm getting alot of clinkers. Is clinkers a good thing? If not, what's the best way to resolve it?

Burning for a couple hours and you have clinkers? What are you calling clinkers? Dont know if I have ever had any from an hour long burn? What type of pellets are you burning?

Clinkers, like little sparks flying out of the burn pot. I am burning powerhouse premium wood pellets.

The sparks are not what we call clinkers. The sparks are entertainment for us old farts. That's the small pieces of pellets and dust getting burned and sucked up toward the exhaust. Clinkers are hard chunks of burned pellet debris that stick together and jam up the burn pot.

Those are sparks. And they are normal. As they burn down and get smaller they eject from the pot. A clinker will take days to form in the bottom of your pot. Its a hard rock like substance. Read your manual. It is spoken of in there.

What you have is normal. Quads have a lot of air coming through the burn pot. This is to help keep the burn pot clean. Vortex like burn. Not clinkers.. You wanna see a clinker. Do a search at the top of the page.

Oh ok, which do you recommend... Hardwood or softwood pellets? The one I'm using now are hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.