1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

QUADRA-FIRE 5100-I air intake problem

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BobP, Oct 7, 2012.

1. BobP

BobP New Member

I have a QUADRA-FIRE 5100-I PRE-ACT with an air intake problem; it feels like the control rod is no longer connected to anything. I cleaned the insert, the chimney (16 ft, no problem w/draft) and the stove. I replaced the fire brick and the blanket. The mechanism for the start up air control works fine and the stove works great with the door cracked but thats not going to fly for the winter. Does anyone know how to reconnect the mechanism?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    Did you try calling the manufacturer? I don't know enough about it. Sorry.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looking at the schematic in the manual the air control rod mechanism look simple. Have you pulled the insert and exposed it to see what came loose?
  4. Dustin

Dustin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Oregon
    I had the same concern with 4100i. It "felt" disconnected but really wasn't.

I tried to expose the inner works of the control, but, quad in their wisdom has it all nicely welded in :) good luck!
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  5. BobP

BobP New Member

Thanks to all of you! As it turned out, the correct answer us from Dustin; it really wasn't broken, just jammed. For future reference, in case anyone else has the same problem, there are 2 models of the 5100-I PRE-ACT our there; 1 of them has a welded bottom, the other has several screws covering the bottom. Mine has the welds. What has to be done is to grind the welds off to get at the mechanism, then drill a few holes in the plates to re-attach the bottom with self tapping screws after you repair the mechanism. For Firecracker_77; The manufacturer desires that all technical questions be directed to the dealer that you bought the stove from. I sent 2 emails to the makers of QUADR-FIRE and each time they responded with a link to a forum/FAQ page that is far less helpful than anything else I've encountered. The QUAD's are really well built but it would be helpful if the company was, well, more helpful.
    firecracker_77 likes this.