Quadra Fire 5100i Rheostat or Blower Problem ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke

Sep 29, 2013
When firing up our Quadra Fire 5100i wood insert for the first time this year, we noticed that it was not kicking out as much hot are as usual. Upon investigation (removing the front grill), noticed that the rheostate would only run on high (when turned down the blower fan would stop) and that the right blower was not rotating at all. When wiggling the connections on the rheostat sometimes the left blower would not work. But never could get the right blower to come on. The stove has just passed its 2 year (by 30 days) warranty on the blower fan :( Any opinions on whether this is a bad blower fan, or perhaps just a faulty Rheostat connected to the right blower. Since we are out in the boonies, a service call just for milaeage is $199.00! Thank you,

Welcome smoke. It sounds like the rheostat is failing. The blower issue puzzles me. I think the left and right blowers have a common motor in between them, right? If so it could be that the set screws that fix the squirrel cage to the right-side motor shaft have worked their way loose or have fallen out. Unplug the unit, then remove the blower assembly, clean it very well and then check those set screws on both the left and right sides. Hopefully the problem will be very obvious and the fix easy and cheap. Also, this is a good time to lubricate the blower motor bearings on both ends with a lightweight motor oil. 10-15 drops of oil should be enough.

Last edited:
How electrically savvy are u? A simple direct connect (110V) to the motor wiring would be very telling. Do not attempt if you are not comfortable with electrical gadgets.

Sorry I couldn't do a cut and paste with the diagram, but here is the link to the blower/rheostate assemby. Looks like each blower is independent http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/438_0380.pdf
I do think it may be the rheostat since wiggling those connections (my female way of fixing things) on the rheostat also affect the left blower. Don't think that's just conincidence that the speed adjustment is not working also. Will try to do some more investigating. Thanks for your replys.

OK, I was looking at the 5100i ACC model. The ACT looks like it used simple axial (muffin) fans. First the wiring should be checked for continuity to that blower. Or do a voltage check with a meter at the blower. If it is getting 120v then the motor is dead. They are fairly common and generic. Just replace it with a similar unit. Try to get one with ball bearings instead of with sleeve bearings for longer life.

Status
Not open for further replies.