quadra fire 7100 and fire xtradonair 36/44

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

21acrewoods

Feb 2, 2009
west central Ohio
I am looking at the Quadra Fire 7100 and the Fire Xtrodinair 36/44 Elite. I am wondering if this is a practical way to heat my 2300 sq ft newer home in west central Ohio? I have local dealers for both of these fireplaces. Both seem very experienced and willing to assist me but I need some more help in making my decision. How much maintenance (time/money) does the catalytic converter require on the FX 36/44? Is the ash removal going to become a big hassle? Can I get 12 hour burn times (realistically)? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
What are smileys?

Ok, Honestly, I have a 7100 and I burn 24/7 no exceptions. I heat my well insulated 2800 sq ft house with it. The only thing I wish for is easier ash removal. I get 12-14 hr brn times. That is saying that after 14 hrs there is enuff coals to just add wood and it takes right off. My house is mainly 75-77 degs all the time no matter how cold it gets. Of course burn time also is dependant on the quality of wood I burn. oak I get easy 12 hrs all the time, hard maple, ash, 12 hrs and it's starting to get cold in the house. Cold as in 68 deg on a single digit morning.
My wife and I work 12 hr shifts so i chose the ZC fireplace for it's size and burn time. I know the brochure says 16 hrs but I have never gotten that long from it. I email quad and the said 16 hrs is from the time you light the fire till the embers go out.

Last thing, the only additon I am going to make to mine in the spring is the addition of two heat zones to run upstairs instead of using fans as I do now.

Other than ash removal, I love my 7100.
p.s. i've never burned 24/7 before this FP, my old one we just loaded and by the time we can home it was out, so maybe ash removal really isn't as bad as I think. I just would kill for an ash drawer!

just my several cents

I'm not familiar at all with the Xtrodinair, but I've drooled over the 7100 in the showroom.

Quad makes a heck of a product.

We're lucky that the weather here in Ohio doesn't get too severe in the winters. Certainly not like they get in Minnesota.

If you're going to pipe the ductwork on the 7100 around your house, I don't think you'll have any trouble heating your place with it.

-SF

First year with FXP 44. Some observations:
* easily heats the house approx 2400 sqft, multilevel
* POS pressure system works as advertised - what were once drafty windows/doors now have no draft
* I have not achieved the advertised 12 hr burn time, probably the best I have done is 10 hours with just enough coals to get a fire started.
* huge firebox - I have not tried to stuff it to the gills yet (maybe I could get a longer burn time... still learning)
* burning alot of wood as I learn to adjust the air flow
* Cat maint - 2 min vacuum job done once this season...
* clean glass approx 1/wk - maybe a 5 min job
* I love the look!

Oh yea, before someone else mentions it...get started on your wood supply for next year now with goal to have it done before winter ends so it seasons well. I would shoot for 5 cords if you plan on using it 24x7

HI Dutchess county Wood burner,
do yo get drafts from the air intake vent on your FPX? Do you get cold air coming in from the air cooled chimney pipe?
i agree with you, it is a nice looking stove.

I heard about the "draft issues" related to bringing in outside air. Thus far, I have not had any problems with this. I was told they addressed and fixed design issue. So far, so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.