Quadra-Fire 7100FP masonary flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toucan

May 21, 2006
I was referred to this site by a local Quadra-Fire dealer. My wife and I are very interested in installing the 7100FP but have come across a potential show-stopper.

We are planning on demolishing our interior brick facade and modify the existing fireplace to accept the 7100FP. The existing chimney resides outside of our house and has a ceramic flue liner which measures 9 x 13 inches. The problem is with the 9" width and the interference with the SL-300 or Dura Pipe, both of which have external diameters greater than 10".

I can demo the liner which would give adequate clearance for either pipe. However, I'm concerned about the condensation effects. The pipe would be ascending a non-ventilated chimmeny, the exterior of which is exposed to the environment. Though I don't believe we'd be hearing the "hiss" of condensate dripping down onto a hot surface, there is the real potential of the pipe rusting out in a few years.

If anyone has had a similar installation or would like to share thoughts, we're all eyes and ears hear in Colorado.

We are planning on demolishing our interior brick facade and modify the existing fireplace to accept the 7100FP

The person you should be asking this question to is your local inspector. Before you start removing bricks you better have a plan as potentially 2.5 to 3 tons of brick and masonry exist above your demo area. This should not be attempted by DIY without experience.

What is the size of the flue collar of the Quadra fire FP? What is the condition of your existing chimney clay liners? Are there any off sets, total verticle lenght ? Size of you existing fire box and the requirements of the 7100iFP?

Elk, this happens to be a customer of mine. The flue collar on the quad 7100 is 8" id and roughly 10" od. The stove is only listed for heatilator SL300, or simpson dura-plus. The installer has a machine that can ream the clay flue tiles to make either pipe fit, of course the sl300 will fit better because its smaller. We called quadrafire about this last week and they wont take any responsibilty with a liner. The concern here is condensation. SL300 has a galvinized exterior, and we all know that stuff will rust in the right situation.

His firebox and chimney are huge, the firebox will almost take a ZC epa fireplace without mods, its that big.

My memory is probably not right but doesn't that Heatilator unit also not have removeable fire brick?

Velvet, the original firebox is where the 7100 is going. Were removing the clay flue tiles in the chimney to make the new metal chimney fit. No firebricks are coming out. Heatilator SL300 is a brand of chimney, its one of two avalible chimneys for the quadrafire7100.

I was thinking liner till I read the manual and they only tested and listed two chimney venting options.
You are right to be concerned condensation and it picking up calcium in the ,mortar instant rust on glavanized pipe
However Dura plus has the optional stainless steel outer s skin. That's the way to go.
If your customer is set on the quad 7000 fp then there is only one solution break out the existing liner and install
the stainless steel Dura plus option

Break out the clay tile liners. Too much retrofitting to replace the entire chimney. That's assuming the bricks and mortar are in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.