Quadra Fire Castile Auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2013
Well I have jumped in and I recently bought my first pellet stove (used). I have not had the best luck currently and after much diagnossing have come to the conclusion that I need a new feed motor? Any recommendations on where to buy a new Auger for my pellet stove? part # 812 - 4421 Are there generic suppliers for Castile pellet stove parts? Any advise is much appreciated.

Hi Mark, it sounds like your not sure if it's the feed motor. I am not famaliar with your model stove but give it some time and someone with experience will show up.

If you are sure, I like to support my local dealers when possible. But there are online sites that are reasonable and provide good service.

What are your symptoms? If its not feeding? What have you checked?

Is there power to the auger? Have you checked the vac switch (jumped it)?

Have you cleaned the vacuum line? Remove hose from vac switch and blow through hose towards stove (Not towards switch), to clear nipple of fines. If the stove doesn't sense vacuum, then it won't turn the auger at all

Thanks for the quick reply DexterDay and Mr. Spoc. The auger does power on but it was buzzing and working sporadically. Occasionally it would feed pellets. I thought may be the auger was bound up so I emptied all the pellets and gave everything a good vacuum. I took a mirror and looked up the shoot to make sure there was not any sort of jam. With everything all clean I reloaded the stove with some fresh new pellets. The same thing would happen. The auger was loud and buzzed. I took the motor off. While still plugged into the harness I made the auger motor turn on while in my hands. Same sort of noise and symptoms. If I shifted the motor one way and the gearbox the other in my hands it would work a little bit better. But I'm pretty darn sure it's the motor.

Here is the part you are looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Quadrafire-812-4421-Auger-Feed-Motor/dp/B006GDQOWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360293317&sr=8-1&keywords=812 - 4421

Personally, while I love to save a buck or two, I would find a dealer and have them come out. Yes, it will cost you more than just the part but you will get setup with a dealer, and you will feel confident knowing that it is fixed right. You could order this part and a few days later when you have it, realize that it wasnt the problem to begin with. So now, your stove is down for days, or even weeks sorting our returns and waiting some more.

Alternatively, you could contact this dealer and buy directly from them. They may cut you a break since they wont have to pay amazon's fees. They are based out of NY, Clearview Fireplace and Patio.

Mr. Spock do you prefer buying from stove-parts-unlimited.com even if it cost a little more? Sounds like these things are just plan expensive. Do you know of any non quadra fire augers that would fit my castile insert?

Mr. Spock do you prefer buying from stove-parts-unlimited.com even if it cost a little more? Sounds like these things are just plan expensive. Do you know of any non quadra fire augers that would fit my castile insert?
It's a little more but the shipping is free so it comes out to 5 bucks over. They have delivered quickly and at least in the case of Harman parts for my stove, original OEM. I like that if there is an issue I can call them directly to get it rectified but have yet to test that aspect of service.The picture shown also looks like the updated version of the motor Quadra-Fire released.

I do not know of any non Quadra fire or direct from manufacture auger motors that would fit your stove. Someone else might know from experience.

What did they update on the motor? Thanks for all the great info!! I can't wait to be up and running!!
I don't know. In my travels I just came across a vendor that noted he was selling the new one. He showed the old motor and new one , probably because a lot of people would question why the motor doesn't look the same.

Lately Amazon.com funnels a lot of national suppliers through its website.
That's where I've be getting my parts at good prices.

I just purchased a vacuum switch which actually shipped from Clearview Fireplace & Patio.

Many of the Castile parts are the same as the Contour.

Before buying parts, review the manual and give the stove and pipes a complete cleaning.
And make sure you have pellets in the hopper.

Trick. To test the auger do the following:

1) start up the stove cold with the thermostat calling for heat.
2) disconnect the vacuum line from the auger gallery ( not from the vacuum switch).
3) connect a turkey baster (also good for cheap artificial insemination) or something similar to the hose.
4)draw a vacuum on the hose, this should close the vacuum switch circuit the auger should start feeding pellets.

If this doesn't work pull the auger and try this procedure with the auger out of the stove.
Just to eliminate it being jammed up in the gallery.

It could also be the vacuum switch. I believe you can jump the connection to simulate a closed circuit.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.