Quadra-Fire Castile Combustion Fan Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miguelkhoury

Feb 17, 2009
Monroe, WA
Hi Folks,

We inherited a Quadra-Fire Castile freestanding pellet stove when we bought our house about 4 years ago. In the last week the combustion fan started to make some horrific metallic sounds, so I removed the rear screen and vacuumed the fan. I also added a dab of WD40. The fan got a bit quieter, but now this morning,it's not even going on. When I move the thermostat higher, the auger starts up and the igniter gets warm, as well as the red call light goes on, but now I do not hear the combustion fan at all. I tried the reset button, but to no avail. The stove just sits there quietly smoking.

My question is: Is my combustion fan totally dead, or is there another trick to getting it to work?

Any advice would be appreciated

Miguel

I would guess the fan is probably shot. When you removed the right rear brick, was the fan turning freely by hand? Has the vent been cleaned? When I have had them go bad, it first makes noise a few days and than finally gives up the ghost. Typically the bearings go. You can try checking the connections and such, but being that it was making noise I'd say it's done. You're probably looking at around $180 including a gasket, it comes as the whole blower and housing. Note that it is easier to install just the fan and gasket and not the whole housing! Good luck.

GotzTheHotz said:
I would guess the fan is probably shot. When you removed the right rear brick, was the fan turning freely by hand? Has the vent been cleaned? When I have had them go bad, it first makes noise a few days and than finally gives up the ghost. Typically the bearings go. You can try checking the connections and such, but being that it was making noise I'd say it's done. You're probably looking at around $180 including a gasket, it comes as the whole blower and housing. Note that it is easier to install just the fan and gasket and not the whole housing! Good luck.

Yes, I could turn the fan easily, although I heard a low grinding noise. I vacuumed around the combustion blower as best as I could. I got to it thru the right side panel. I have not cleaned the vent.

Thanks for your response, do you know a good parts supply store online?

Miguel

Turning easy with a low grinding noise sure sounds like bad bearings. If you've had the stove for more than 4 years, that's great as I'm working on my third fan in that amount of time. I've ordered very few parts online, the only stuff I can recall was from a user here named "jtp10181" in WI. You can try and call around to your local stove shops, it's a pretty commonly stocked item. If you haven't cleaned the vent in a long time, I would do that also just to be sure that it is not partially plugged and causing the fan to work too hard.

I may be wrong, but if the combustion fan does not go on you wont get any negative pressure, and the vacuum switch will stop the auger from feeding any pellets. You're saying it sits there smoking? Im wondering how it's getting ignition, and pellet feed without any negative pressure.

It does sound like the blower is bad, but my logic tells me it shouldnt even start feeding pellets without a combustion blower going ?

Just my 2 cents worth from dealing with my Quadra Fire insert. If my blower doesnt start up I dont get pellet feed into the pot.

Normally, when I raise the thermostat the auger immediately starts adding pellets, the combustion blower goes on, and the igniter starts to glow.

Today, however, all the above happened EXCEPT for the combustion blower going on. The result was that the pellets in the pot ignited and smoked for a bit.

Is it possible the fan is turning, just not up to speed but enough to satisfy vacuum? You can tell this by looking at the 'flying saucer' counter balance on the back of the fan motor. Should be able to see this spinning with the right side panel removed. If I recall correctly, I think it takes a bit to throw the vacuum switch fault and shut the stove down even if there is no vacuum.

If the comb fan is not going the auger should not run. Its possible you have other issues and the previous owner jerry rigged it and bypassed important safety features. I would see if there is a pro in the area that could replace the fan and do a full inspection on the unit for you.

A simple test you can do is to call for heat and see if the auger starts, if it does open of the from glass. The auger should stop within a few seconds. If its still runs someone has bypassed the vacuum switch and it needs to be fixed.

I would check local dealers for parts but if you are in a pinch I can order anything for a Quad unit. We don't stock any pellet parts but the common stuff I can get in a couple days.

If I understand you correctly; Basically make it call for heat, listen if auger starts turning, if it does, then open the front glass door. The auger "should" stop. If it keeps turning, something's been bypassed.

Thanks jtp10181, I will check.

Yeap you got it right. Let us know what it does.

Thanks jtp, was wondering when you would show up! The last time my combustion fan died, the stove did pretty much described as above. Any thoughts on the fan turning enough to make the vacuum switch happy, but not enough draw for the stove to operate well? I know I could not hear the fan even tho it was turning a bit, and that the fix of replacing the fan fixed the problem, been cranking since here in MN over the cold part of the year.

Yeah it could be going just enough to trip the vac switch. Its pretty sensitive so even a low amount of vacuum would set it off I think. Thats why I had him do the open door test, that break the vacuum totally and will test the safety system regardless if the comb blower is working right or not. If it passes that test then just a new blower may be needed.

Conducted the test: Auger kept turning for about 20 seconds dropping pellets into the pot with the door open and red call light on.

Not sure if the system had been bypassed, so I opened the right side curtain, and noticed a big silver round thing with two electrical prongs sticking out. Two wires that looked they were supposed to be connected to those prongs were instead connected to each other.

Also, the counter weight of the combustion fan could still turn easily, but was definitely NOT turning on its own when I had it initially call for heat.

Certainly sounds like the vacuum switch has been by-passed? I've seen people do this just because the vacuum line is plugged or the door gasket is shot and leaking, they put that switch on there for a reason! Check the line first, disconnect it and lightly blow through it. The switch could be shot too, but that is an easy fix also. I'm sure jtp or someone can give you trouble shooting info for the switch by testing for continuity. Comb fan is dead.

Looks like this is on my list to do:

1. Replace Combustion Fan.
2. Correct the vacuum switch Bypass issue.
3. I noticed the Door gasket IS shot—there is only 3 sides (sides and bottom) getting the ropey gasket treatment! Need to replace.

before you gasket seal the door, get the serial number and e-mail Quad asking where the gasketing belongs on your unit. From my knowledge the older ones had no gasketing on the top...the newer ones (like mine) are open at the bottom instead...the one side ungasketed is to provide airwash to help keep the glass clean.

I can check the gasket placement off the serial number. In fact the picture from the manual is in two old posts from last year someplace on here. He says his air wash is on the top which is correct for an old unit, so its probably right. So, yes you are only supposed to have gasket on 3 sides. The other side lets extra air into the stove and helps keep junk off the glass.

The vac switch.... should be a rectangular box or if its the old one a round silver thing with a hose coming out of it. UNPLUG the stove. Take the two wires (grey or purple I think) and put them on the terminals of the vac switch. Does not matter which goes where. Now I would take the hose off the vac switch end and blow through it as hard as you can. This should clear out any debris in the line. Hook it back up and test if the auger still runs with the glass shut. Now if the blower is not going the auger should not run either.

You will have to replace the comb blower before you can determine if the vac switch is actually bad, or if it was bypassed due to the hose being clogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.