Quadra-Fire Castile Insert - Changing Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sesro1978

Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

I'm planning on pulling my Castile insert out tomorrow and doing some basic maintenance things and figure while I'm in maintenance mode I mind as well change the door gasket. It's not leaking as far as I know, but it's going on 5-years old and is a bit frayed in spots.

I'm wondering how difficult it is to change this gasket? What tools will I need? What materials (besides a new gasket)? Finally, there seems to be a gasket sandwiched between the glass and the door; will I also need to change that?

Thanks!

I've never even seen your stove, but will say that glass gasket rarely needs changing, as it doesn't see the abuse of a door gasket. Generally, if you're not seeing streaks on your glass indicative of a leaking glass gasket, just leave it alone. With regard to the door gasket, is it a cement in place type, or the wire-formed type that just pushes into a deep groove? Assuming it's the cement type (can't imagine you'd be asking otherwise), the procedure is pretty basic:

1. Buy the correct type (woven vs. braided) and diameter of gasket rope. Get at least 2x what you need, as you'll want a second shot at it if things go wrong, and you'll always use the extra rope... eventually. Also pick up a roll of masking tape and a tube of the proper cement, Rutland Gasket Cement for regular fiberglass rope, or special Rutland Grapho cement for those troublesome Grapho Glass gaskets. I'm not a fan of the Grapho Glass gaskets (far more trouble than they're worth), but to each his own...

2. Noting where the manufacturer started and stopped each rope segment, and how they overlapped the ends, pull the old rope off. Use an awl, sharpened screwdriver, chisel, whatever... to scrape all of the old gasket cement off of the door grove. Do NOT use a grinder, or any tool that's going to turn that old cement to dust, unless you want to give yourself or your family Silicosis. It just makes a mess, and is really no faster than chipping with the right tool. My favorite tool is an old junk slotted screwdriver with the tip ground to match your gasket groove profile.

3. Measure out your gasket (relaxed state, no stretched) and put a piece of masking tape around the gasket at predicted cut length. Don't cut yet, if you're not confident in your measurement, but it still helps to do this up front. Go ahead and cut if you think you have it right. I like to cut in the middle of the piece of masking tape (I usually use 1/2" tape), so I'm left with a little 1/4" ring of tape (whipping?) holding the rope from fraying at each end.

4. Wipe down the groove with a wet paper towel, be sure it's clean, and lay a bead of new cement in the groove. Only lay a few inches at a time, as the stuff sets up fast. I'll do a four sided door in 3 or 5 steps, assuming the ends of the gasket are in the middle of one side. Do NOT lay a thick bead of cement that fills the groove. It should just be a smearing to hold the gasket. If you fill the groove with copious amounts of cement, the gasket will have nowhere to compress into, and your door will not seal properly (will be too tight at the latch, and bulged out on the far corner(s)). I usually lay a bead, then wipe it in with a finger stroke.

5. Lay the gasket. You can use scraps of masking tape to hold the gasket in place, if it doesn't stay on its own. The masking tape can be left on, as it will just burn off or smoke a bit on first firing.

6. Once gasket is installed, close the door and gently latch. Be sure gasket does not shift in the process. Wait at least one hour for the cement to set up. I will usually then open the door and leave it another hour to be sure the cement is dry, although this may be overkill.

7. Fire the stove. Whereas the cement will "dry" on its own, it takes a stove firing to "cure" the cement. This can be done any time after the cement is dry (i.e. anywhere from 1 hour to 10 years after installation).

Thanks for the info. on this. I ended up not doing it as it doesn't really look like my door gasket needs replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.