Quadra Fire Castile Lost Power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
Last night I was burning the Castile insert when the power went out. The stove shut down and vented all the smoke up the chimney.Not a bit of smoke entered the house. My vent setup is a 5 ft length of ss flex into the existing chimney. Just passing on some info. HTHs

That's great news and shows that you've got a good draft available in your vent. Makes me feel good about my Castille with a straight 14' vertical to the roof.

Steve

Vent mostly inside the house? Not too cold? Either way, have not seen too much of a problem of smoke in the house either direct or otherwise, but it is a point of contention and discussion wise here. Just imho.

The ss section of ss pipe was pushed up into the terracotta flue lining. Its a brick chimney on the side of the house. I sat in my chair frozen, waiting for the smoke that never happened. The fire smoldered and burned itself out. I thought I would post it to help ease some stove owners mind. It may not be the case for all. So, It may be a good idea to unplug the stove while burning just to test it. You can always plug it back in before any damage. Something to think about.

I have a straight out vent with a 45 pointed down and when the power goes out there is no smoke in the house. To each their own

woodsman23 What would happen if the wind was blowing against the pipe and the power was off? In Canada some vertical rise is mandatory.I know of one case where the wind forced the fire back in to the pellet bin and the smoke filled the house. What a mess. The power was off and no one was home.
Wayne in NS

tonyd hit it, test the stove by unplugging. I'd lay money down that you won't have an issue. The stoves are not 'sealed' par say, but they are pretty tight. You may get some smoke from the ash pan area, but it will travel the path of least resistance which is out the flue. Esp if the flue is hot, it will draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.