Quadra-Fire Castile - Rust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sesro1978

Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

We purchased a Quadra-Fire Castile insert this past winter (only 8 months or so ago) and recently we have noticed rust building up on the burn chamber and fire-pot. We called our local reseller to take a look at the rust and they tech. they sent informed us that this is to be expected and there was really nothing we could do other than monitor it and scrape it off. He did that and then put some oil on the inside of the stove.

Is this common for these stoves? For pellet stoves in general? We know several people who have pellet stoves and don't have this issue. It seems to me that after only 8 months (and after paying lots of $$ for this stove), it should not be rusting.

Can anything be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
S

Hi,
Sesro1978 have blocked off your vent pipe as to not let moisture in,a friend of mine has a castile fs stove and at the end of the heating season we cleaned it out then covered the exhaust saran wrap and a grocery bag and he has no rust at all, we also put a box of baking soda in the stove to help absorb any moisture I did the same thing with my stove and have had no rust issues.

This is quite common with any pellet stove as the humidity of the summer air makes its way through the pipes and into the stove itself. mnkywrnch was absolutely correct and provided a perfect solution to the problem.

Keep in mind that it is only surface rust which can quite easily be wire-brushed off.

Steve

Stove paint etc works quite nicely in rust prevention....

I also place a box of baking soda in the stove to get any additional moisture.

Moved to pellet room - no problem...

I'm not a pellethead, but my recollection from other discussion is that this is not unusual, and as long as it's just surface rust doesn't represent a major problem...

Prevention is mostly three things, not all of them are always possible...

1. Spray the burn pot and other parts that are exposed to flames with some sort of protective oil. Lots of people swear by WD-40, I swear at it, but any spray that advertises itself as rust inhibiting will help...

2. Try to keep the stove in as dry an environment as possible, the less humidity in it the better.

3. Prevent condensation - disconnect the stove, and seal it up to keep humid air from getting into it - consider throwing a bag of dessicant into it, or put a small lightbulb in the burn chamber to keep it warmed above condensation temperature...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.